Ranking system?

PatchesD00D

Solid State Member
I noticed theres a ranking system (My rank: Newb Techie),
exactly what does this do?, any extra benefits, or just for show so people know who "knows what they're talking about", and lastly, how do you rank up?
Thanks for answers, I'm glad I finally found a forum I actually stick with!

just based on how many posts you have. After a certain amount of posts you can customize it if you want. Just an added bit of fun.

Moved to FQ&S.

Each rank you achieve allows you to do more. Signature, custom avatar, availability of currently private forums etc. The more you contribute, the more you earn.

I find the rankings hilarious. For instance, I'm relatively new to the forum and I have a ranking of "Junior Techie" which I find almost insulting since I've worked in the tech field for 39 years. I read posts from members that have a ranking of "Ultra Techie" or something like that but are obviously rank amateurs based on the questions they are asking.

The current ranking system implies technical prowess due to the labels used. If it were up to me I would change the labels to indicate forum seniority along the lines of "New Member", "Jr. Member", ..."Ultra Member". I understand that the term "techie" in the labels is being used to refer to a member of the tech forums but a true noob to forums probably doesn't understand that and may give undue weight to advice given by someone who is labeled as an "Ultra Techie".

They do not influence you knowledge, nor does anyone call you a noob just because you are new to the site. It is a set ranking. Everybody goes through it.

At a certain level of posts (I forget), you can edit your title to anything but the staff emblems (Mod, Admin, etc.)

Edit: When I started here in December 09, I was not disregarded for my technical suggestions because of my ranking.

I find the rankings hilarious. For instance, I'm relatively new to the forum and I have a ranking of "Junior Techie" which I find almost insulting since I've worked in the tech field for 39 years. I read posts from members that have a ranking of "Ultra Techie" or something like that but are obviously rank amateurs based on the questions they are asking.

The current ranking system implies technical prowess due to the labels used. If it were up to me I would change the labels to indicate forum seniority along the lines of "New Member", "Jr. Member", ..."Ultra Member". I understand that the term "techie" in the labels is being used to refer to a member of the tech forums but a true noob to forums probably doesn't understand that and may give undue weight to advice given by someone who is labeled as an "Ultra Techie".

It is a ranking system that is based on a post count. It happens on EVERY FORUM out there. Cause there is no way for a forum registration to rank you based on your knowledge. No forum on the internet gives you a quiz and then a ranking based on that quiz to show your technical expertise.

Do you think that a stupid label constitutes knowledge? I know CEO's that are dumb as rocks and dont have a clue what goes on in their business and I know people who work with the customers directly that have more knowledge than the CEO. It is an arbitrary label just like the post count is an arbitrary number.

Both are just a way to show how much people participate on the site. You have not participated enough and it shows by both accounts.

You show the exact reason why such a system is flawed. Cause you show how people place such high regards in false labels instead of finding out for yourself who the people are. You believe some label you see or some title they have and think they know something.

You show the exact reason why such a system is flawed. Cause you show how people place such high regards in false labels instead of finding out for yourself who the people are. You believe some label you see or some title they have and think they know something.

He's saying others could misinterpret the labels. He isn't saying he thinks they mean something.

While I agree the word "techie" could be taken to mean knowledge, the site's name is Tech-Forums. Anyone participating at all here is a techie. Techie is TF's word for member.

He's saying others could misinterpret the labels. He isn't saying he thinks they mean something.

While I agree the word "techie" could be taken to mean knowledge, the site's name is Tech-Forums. Anyone participating at all here is a techie. Techie is TF's word for member.
Yeah, I got that and stated so in my post.

Back
Top Bottom