1) Memory; 2) External HD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

putertard

Solid State Member
Hi! I'm not very computer savvy.
I just installed 1GB memory on my old desktop. How do I know if it is recognized? If I look at the local disk properties it says that my capacity is 153 GB..... is that different from the memory that I installed? I guess I don't know the difference between Hard Disk Drive memory and other memory. I should have 2GB now, so what does the 153GB reflect?

I want to download some art programs that will use up too much memory. Can I download them to an external hard drive and use them from there???

Thank you!

Go to the start menu, right click on Computer, go to properties. The window should tell you how much memory you have.

153GB is your hard drive size.
Hard drive memory is used for long term storage that don't disappear when the power is turned off.
Ram is short term storage that disappear when the power is turned off.

Just install your programs on your normal operating hard drive unless you have absolutely no more space on it. Then save your work/documents onto the external hard drive. Installing programs onto external drives can sometimes create problems.

use your external drive as a backup, as working and frequently drawing on the external hard drive will be slow. what kind of projects are you doing that will take up so much hard drive space? 153 GB should last a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom