My Server Transformation

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, Now that I got all my data off my 2 x 640GB HDDs, and formatted, I jivvied up my HDD rack.

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

I used my old Seasonic 500 modular PSU. A lot cleaner than my Antec Earthwatts, that you saw earlier. Those SATA cords are extenders. So if I ever need to take my server down, I can just disconnect them halfway. Didn't find any extenders that had a 90* lip on the HDD side. Still works. The 24-power and SATA power cords wrap around the rack fan. It's up on a box because it's hard to get at the bottom one at ground level. Also something to quiet down the vibration of the PSU.

And yes, I'll work on the cables behind my desk. I am currently waiting for new power suppressors. And mount those on the backside of my desk backslash.

Nice job on all the updates / mods! I have a huge tower sitting next to my desk running MS Server 03, going to upgrade to 08 soon. Its just a data server as well but i also wanted to catch up on my server knowledge at the same time. Good stuff Mind! :big_smile:

Thanks, Stevo. Tomorrow I'm working on placing the new PSU, and chipping the case a little to fit the controller card in.

Finished! For now.

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

Didn't realize how small that was. Used a piece of hard plastic off a 5 1/4 floppy tray. Hack sawed the corners, drilled two holes, one into the standoff, the other onto the PCB. Power connector going out the back. Short way for the 24-pin.

Had to hack away a bit of the case, too, so I could fit my controller card in. As you see, it fits in fine. Only, I can't use the top two, as The case is to close to it. But another project.

We should have a custom data server builds thread! :big_smile:

As for my build its just a bunch of parts i put together overtime from work, its not neat or tidy but it does the job. I got a really lucky with the case, customer didn't need it so i scored big time. Temps run fine and did not run into any issues, only time i turn this bad boy on is when i do backups.

Specs:
Hard Drives:2x 500GB HD (storage) / 1 350GB (storage) / 1 300GB (OS)
RAM: 2GB Dual channel
Graphics: Nvidia (Forgot which model)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+
Motherboard: Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
PSU: Thermaltake 650Watt

View attachment 4690

Here's my desk setup, fits nicely where i sit and my custom pc to the right.

View attachment 4691

Ill be testing out freenas some time soon, haven't worked with it before.

Attachments

• DSC01589.jpg
    DSC01589.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC01586.jpg
    DSC01586.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 103
OK. Final update. Well, for awhile, anyhow..

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

My case above, HDD tray below, my Seasonic Modular 500W PSU in back. Yes, sitting on a box, to relieve vibrations from either the HDDs or PSU. Works pretty well. :)

Put those strips of thin metal to prevent the mount to sag.

Niiice, you don't have to worry about temps for a while. Ill most likely have FreeNas on a 1gig thumb drive.

We should have a custom data server builds thread! :big_smile:

As for my build its just a bunch of parts i put together overtime from work, its not neat or tidy but it does the job. I got a really lucky with the case, customer didn't need it so i scored big time. Temps run fine and did not run into any issues, only time i turn this bad boy on is when i do backups.

Specs:
Hard Drives:2x 500GB HD (storage) / 1 350GB (storage) / 1 300GB (OS)
RAM: 2GB Dual channel
Graphics: Nvidia (Forgot which model)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+
Motherboard: Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
PSU: Thermaltake 650Watt

View attachment 4690

Nice, but MoM's is more interesting.

Here's an old picture of mine. It's a little different now.
new%20server%20internals%202.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom