Random Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found usually if the PSU is getting sick it shows by the various voltages fluctuating. I have an MSI mboard, which comes with a hardware monitor utility called PC Alert. It has a graph-field for each PSU voltage and if any of those voltage graphs are fluctuating very much it shows the PSU is either getting sick or possibly underpowered. Some variation can be expected as you use the computer, since the load will change. With HWMonitor, leave it open and watch the voltages for a bit or log the information and then look at the various voltage charts. You shouldn't see more than about .1 volt variation.

You could be having memory problems instead of PSU problems. First thing to do about this would be to find a plain pink eraser, shut the computer down and flip the power switch on the PSU to off (if it has one, or unplug the power cord if it doesn't) then pull the memory sticks out and rub the eraser on the contact edge, both sides of the stick. It only takes a few strokes with gentle pressure and the contacts should be clean and shiny. Then put the sticks back in and power up the computer again. The second thing to do would be to run a memory test program such as MEMtest86+.

Nice explanation, rod. But if it was a problem with memory, he would get a BSOD, not a sudden shut down.

Edit: Also, rod, HWMonitor does a swell job of detecting the voltages, and shows the high and low.

BSOD is one of the symptoms but not the only one. I've worked on computers that have spontaneously rebooted or shut down and the problem was memory.

I agree HWMonitor does a good job, I recommend it.

Your 12v line is low and it is probably dropping even lower under any type of load. With HWMonitor running in the back ground try running Prime95 at the same time and then post another HWMonitor screenshot.

Ok I ran the stress test program with hardwaremon.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting Yesterdays
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting First
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting Seccond
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting Third
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting Fourth

Orders might be messed up, but just look at the time.
Yesterdays screenshot is just of HWMonitor

Its weird because it hasnt done it today at all.
Yesterday I couldnt even use computer for 5 mintues.

Will try stress it

Return Material Authorization

While still under warranty, you can send a defective device to the manufacturer. They will fix the problem or replace it with a new product. The same product, or an updated version if the warehouse does not have that model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom