Booting problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

galant_mod

In Runtime
Hi guys this might be abit windy but i try to be as detailed as possible.
I've got this problem. my rig have this weird booting problems. When i cold start it, it will boot fine

but if i do reboot straight after i shut down, it will not boot. All cpu and gpu fan will be running though the

there will be no harddisk activity and there will be no post. My only solution is i have to switch off the main

switch and switch back on. Sometimes i have to repeat twice or thrice or even more. i will know it boot sucessfully if i

can see theres hdd led activity.

This happened about a year back so i thought it was the oc i did. But it does not seem because i've been

running stable for 1 year. I've used the psu from my previous amd rig. the problem started last year

when right after i shut down it couldn't boot up so i off the main switch and boot up again. For awhile it

was fine but subsequently after a few weeks things got worse. So i thought it was my oc problem that

caused it and reset my settings to stock. I also tried swapping rams but to no avail. Late last year my

tp45 biostar got problem and i went to change to the tpower i45 but still it have this booting problems.

I even thought it was my processor that might deteriorate after 1 year of overclocking but i checked

using my friend's processor but still it was the same. Just wanna see what you guys might think for my problem. Thanks.

Rig Specs: 600W Skyhawk PSU (never heard of it and its about 4 years)
Biostar Tpower I45
E8400 C2D
Team elite 4x2 GB
2x 500gb Western Digital HDD
Gainward 9600gt

looks like that PSU has some shoddy 12v construction so I'd say it's the PSU. Also because it seems to be the only thing you haven't replaced or tested. Try and grab a friends PSU and see if it fixes it, or just buy a new one. I'd recommend buying a new one regardless of if it's the issue or not :p

Your voltages seem off, it should only have a Tolerance of ± 5%.
+3.3V (Minimum Voltage +3.135V) - (Maximum Voltage +3.465V)
+5V (Minimum Voltage +4.750V) - (Maximum Voltage +5.250V)
+12V (Minimum Voltage +11.400V) - (Maximum Voltage +12.600V)

skyhawkrails.jpg

pic of a skyhawk 600w, and i'm sure that there isn't much of a difference between the Power One and the Super Silent in manufacturing, and that would explain the low 12v (ATX 2.1 standards say that you shouldn't have all the 12v rails together)

Thanks all for the replies, esp peter. I'll try to get a spare psu from a friend and test it out. Will let you guys know again. =)

Hi guys. Today i went all out to get a new corsair ax750 psu. It is indeed the psu's fault. Lesson learned, never think of settling down with a cheap psu. It's important!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom