New build keeps locking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunga Dan

Beta member
Just assembled the main bits of a new build, as follows:

-GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

-Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

-HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

-CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9

-Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

-Thermaltake Black Widow PSU W0319RU 850W ATX 12V v2.3, EPS 12V v2.91 CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE

-Older Powercolor X800 GTO vid card

I have initially set up the bits on a table, outside of the case (so I can still use the PC which is now occupying the case until all is well with the new bits). Loading went fine, got online & began loading software, when the PC locked up. In the ~6 hours I've been playing with this, it has not run longer than about 20 minutes without locking up, sometimes only 5 or 10 minutes. It seems fine, then just locks. No mouse, no keyboard, no ctrl/alt/del function, I have to do a reset to get it going again. I've pulled the HDD & re-installed the OS on a spare 160 gig IDE drive I have, same behavior, so it's not the HDD. What components are the most likely culprits here? Any suggestions anyone might have on this situation would be greatly appreciated!

I should add that I installed about 55 updates from MS to the Win 7 installation (all available), after which it still locked.

Haven't had an OS lock up since Windows ME. I'm already missing XP! ;-(

Dan

Thanks for the reply. The temps in BIOS are normal, CPU is about 39C. Also checked all the PSU voltage with a multimeter, both with the PSU connected & not, and they are fine. Most interestingly, the PC SEEMS to run fine in safe mode w/networking. Wouldn't this suggest the hardware is fine? I did install all the drivers.

The CPU Temperature reading in the Bios is not the actual CPU temperature. That reading is from a sensor, located on the mobo directly below the cpu. Please run HWMonitor and post a screenshot (the "core" temperatures are the important values).

When you checked your voltages was the system under a "Full Load" condition? Check them with Prime95 running and then with Furmark running.

Most recent developments: I again tried the Win 7 on my new SATA, but with a known-good PSU, and it froze in about 15 minutes. So it's not the PSU. After this, I loaded a 32 bit copy of XP Pro on an IDE drive, and the machine has run for about 4 hours without a freeze (I should add I loaded Win 7 previously on this same drive, and it froze like it did on the SATA). During the time the machine has been running fine under XP Pro, the PC has been surfing the internet on one monitor, while continuously playing .VOB videos on VLC with the audio muted on a remote plasma (like the older build this one is to replace, I use the computer for general PC use as well as for a HTPC), while also playing a 2 hour MP3 on Winamp. One possible conclusion from this that either the PC, or the video card, does not like 64 bits. Reading the reviews of the board on Newegg, many people seem to be running Win 7 64 bit with no problem, so I'm guessing it's not that the MOBO has a problem with that OS. Am I correct that it would be unlikely for either the RAM or the CPU to be intolerant of 64 bit Win 7?

BTW, ran Memtest for ~ 3 hours. No errors.

I'm considering replacing the vid card, since it seems a very likely suspect. I'm not a gamer (though this gear should be up to it), so I don't need anything tooooo drastic (read, EXPENSIVE). As JL suggested, I'm wondering about the PCI E 2.0 slots. Also, I've been using a X16 slot (MOBO also has X8 slots). Could the Vid card be the culprit? And opinions on this card for my applications: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131350

Thanks again for the replies!

Dan

Gunga Dan said:
I loaded a 32 bit copy of XP Pro on an IDE drive, and the machine has run for about 4 hours without a freeze

Did you load Windows from an IDE (CD/ROM) or to an IDE (HDD).

I don't think your video card has anything to do with this. I could be wrong but I'm thinking it has something to do with the SATA controller the HDD is plugged into. The GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R uses (3) different SATA controllers for the 10 different SATA ports located on the mobo (Intel, Marvel and Gigabyte controller) and it uses a JMicron controller for the (2) eSATA ports located on the I/O Panel. And the IDE support comes from the Gigabyte controller.
intel.jpg

gigabyten.jpg

marvelu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom