Corsair XMS Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nubius said:
Clocking it too high will produce errors in turn constantly running your system with these errors will produce instability and could cause your RAM to fry out being that you're trying to raise the speed past that of what it's capable of. I've already fried one RAM Stick because it was valueRAM and it couldn't handle those higher frequencies so I know what I'm talking about, but yeah the Corsair XMS are power hungry and can handle it good

Producing errors doesn't harm the ram itself, just like a CPU you can clock it to 5,000GHZ if you wanted/could it just wouldn't run at that speed. It wouldn't cause damage.

Yeah if you look there are quite a few different types of XMS Ram, with varying latencies, Xtra LOW LATENCIES!, hell even one has LED's on top that show how much of the RAM is being used lol

Hardware is damaged from being subjected to too much heat.
Yeah go try telling that to these jerks over at www.extremeoverclocking.com man the people there are just rude. They are telling this guy running 2.6GHz 1.95 Vcore with like 45C Full load temp that he's going to kill his chip...I tell them heat destroys things and they simply reply back with 'WHATEVER MAN ITS OVERCLOCKING! EVER HEARD OF ELECTROMIGRATION BLAH BLAH BLAH!' bah....ignorant sonofa ::mumbling profanities:: ;)

EDIT:

Producing errors doesn't harm the ram itself, just like a CPU you can clock it to 5,000GHZ if you wanted/could it just wouldn't run at that speed.
The difference is the CPU will simply NOT run at that speed while the RAM will run at whatever speed you set it to which inturn 'can' cause damage. Running your RAM with insufficient timings to the point where it's taxed beyond it's normal capacity and it's doing nothing but getting errors will definitely not do 'good' for your system or the RAM for that matter...the RAM also will be getting hotter than normal and with a combination of heat and overclocking it with it running errors destroys the chip. If you keep the chip cool and you can overclock the RAM and loosen your timings a bit or give it that extra DIMM Voltage and it runs cool then you're all good. But the fact remains it's not good to leave memory in your system that's producing errors as it can lead to the memory going bad from constant and random instabilities...this could cause voltage or heat fluctuations and include things such as electro migration

also, the only real side effect of ram errors is possible HD corruptions and frequent OS crashes.

OCing ram is just generally not a good idea.

Off topic: What mhz is PCI-E at? 133?

I was looking at your sig, ag3, and was curious as to what the BGMonster thing was attached to your vid card. I have a 9800XT with the ATI silencer and love it, but its still not the best cooling i've seen.

TweakMonster BGA is by far the most effective ramsinks on the market. They are constructed from copper followed by a thick chrome finish.

BGA is the new format of memory chips found on the latest video cards.

rev1bga.JPG

I dont' think they will fit on my card with the ATI silencer, because the silencer itself touches the GPU and all 8 ram chips with its own sorta heatsink, even though the GPU probably heats up the ram chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom