Computer won't POST after dissembling it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

baphomet58

Solid State Member
Firstly, this is a couple year old computer. It worked, so it has no compatibility issues or PSU issues. Also, none of the transistors on the mobo are damaged in any way. I also reset the CMOS. When having in 1 stick of RAM, the CPU, and the GPU it will not POST. However, when I remove the GPU, and power it, it WILL POST. But, it gives me the no video card error. But I can pretty tell it's working, because my RAM has activity LEDs on which are full unlike when it doesn't POST (with the GPU).

Now, when I have the GPU in, but take out either the CPU or RAM, it will also give me a POST error. So, when I have all 3 in, it will not POST at all. What exactly can be the possible problem here? Why wouldn't the computer just POST if the video card was bad with all 3 installed?

It worked, so it has no compatibility issues or PSU issues.

It's not working now and it sounds like your power supply has died. If I had to pick another possible suspect it would be the motherboard but it really sounds like the power supply has degraded.

ok, this is a 700w PSU that's running with old hardware. It was $100, high quality PSU that barely has any use because I use my new computer. There's no way it's the PSU.

edit: And maybe I didn't mention it, but the motherboard is getting power, and all the fans spin. And this computer does POST, just not when the GPU is in it with the CPU and RAM.

well the GPU takes up the most power so it would make sense that it could be over stressing the psu. What's the model psu? If you're still under warranty i'd suggest RMA'ing. Or get a PSU from a friend and try that, or borrow a GPU and see if it works with it in.

or as slay suggested it could be the motherboard.

if anything, the psu is overkill for what this computer has. it's using a 8800 gts.

yesterday, the same exact thing happened and after I reseated my CPU, it post and booted to the bios. i sadly had to disassemble the **** thing due to irreverent reasons today.
anyway, reseating the cpu has done nothing today. I read something about thermal grease problems, but I don't have any on the motherboard.

well this must be one of the worst motherboards. asus m2n-deluxe. this would be the second time i'd have to replace it. probably doesn't have a warrantly anymore.

I read something about thermal grease problems, but I don't have any on the motherboard.

OK, to start with, if the CPU, Memory or the Video card is removed the system will not post. It's impossible. The system should Beep multiple times but that is not Posting.

The motherboard does not require thermal grease, the CPU on the other hand does. It goes on top of the CPU between the CPU and the heatsink. This is required, without it the system will get Hot very fast and shutdown. This could every well be your problem.

OK, to start with, if the CPU, Memory or the Video card is removed the system will not post. It's impossible. The system should Beep multiple times but that is not Posting.

The motherboard does not require thermal grease, the CPU on the other hand does. It goes on top of the CPU between the CPU and the heatsink. This is required, without it the system will get Hot very fast and shutdown. This could every well be your problem.

I know that. I'm referring to how some say that certain thermal pastes (accidentally dropped on the mobo) can cause a PC to not POST. But here's the thing, my RAM shows me it's activity with LEDs. When I have the video card in, the RAM shows low activity in the green-yellow range. When I take my video card out, it does the no video card beep and then a single beep that I recall it always did when the BIOS first booted. It honestly seems the without the video card, the computer is fine. So, do you think it's possibly the video card, or the motherboard is damaged so it's specifically causing problems with the video card?

And I'll say this once again: This computer was built by me and used for a few years. Recently I've built another and it works great. I know what I'm doing. I've never encounter this problem from what I recall. The last time I returned the mobo, I don't exactly remember what happened to it, as it was years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom