Computer won't recognize new Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
try updating the bios. also there are certain size limitations that a bios can read, I'm not sure at all about exactly why, but with older chipsets there used to be a 137gb max that the bios could read which is why the old raptor and scsi drives came in 137gb max sizes, and I read something when looking at your chipset that said there might be a hard drive size limitation associated with it.

Try taking the hard drive out of your laptop and plugging it into the PC, see if it recognizes it in the bios.

I have never updated a bios before. Can you help me find the correct one for my motherboard? Also if you have instructions on how to do it that would be great.

Thanks.

How to Update Your BIOS - PCWorld

or if you click on the PDF logo in the link below there are instructions straight from biostar on how to update the bios
BIOSTAR :: K8M800 Micro AM2 :: BIOS

With this download the utility and run the setup.exe file and then go from there. I think you'll have to download on of the .bs files, download the most updated one (the first one) and you'll probably have to point the updater utility to that file.

Is there any way to know if this will fix it before I try to update it, or do I just risk it? Im just nervous about doing this because I've never done this before and I don't want to ruin my motherboard.

you won't ruin the board. The worst that will happen is the bios doesn't work right and the computer will seem messed up but you just have to pop out the CMOS battery and it'll reset, or reinstall the original bios. It used to be a bigger deal than it is now, I've updated bioses hundreds of times without a hitch.

If you're really uncomfortable about updating the bios give biostar support a call and ask them about the board and see if there's a known hard drive size limit.

Also definitely try a different drive, see if it works, even your laptop drive if it's SATA, or try using a different port. Could just be a bad port.

Ok sounds good I will go a head and give it a try. Thank you for your help. I will hopefully get the time to try it tonight, and will let you know the results.

Thanks.

So, I have tried running the bios exe file that is on that website and it keep freezing everytime I try to. I have let it sit for hours, and it never opens for me to run it.

Is there another way to update the bios?

Thanks.

you won't ruin the board. The worst that will happen is the bios doesn't work right and the computer will seem messed up but you just have to pop out the CMOS battery and it'll reset, or reinstall the original bios. It used to be a bigger deal than it is now, I've updated bioses hundreds of times without a hitch.

If you're really uncomfortable about updating the bios give biostar support a call and ask them about the board and see if there's a known hard drive size limit.

Also definitely try a different drive, see if it works, even your laptop drive if it's SATA, or try using a different port. Could just be a bad port.

If you flash the wrong bios, you will kill the motherboard. But fortunately, the flash utility will warn you about a version mismatch or refuse to update the bios. Clearing the cmos will not revert it to the old bios version, it will only clear the settings. Some motherboards will have a backup-chip so you can restore the bios even after flashing a wrong bios.

So, I have tried running the bios exe file that is on that website and it keep freezing everytime I try to. I have let it sit for hours, and it never opens for me to run it.

Is there another way to update the bios?

Thanks.

Read the manual; there are always multiple ways to flash the bios (by windows utility, usb stck, cd, 1.44" floppy)

But I think the motherboard should support the disk size. My motherboard is much older and has no problem with 2tb disks. Check the manuals and bios version changelogs on the manufacturers website to check the supported hard disk sizes. The supported hard disks may be listed in a seperate document/page on their website. You could also look up the specs on the boards sata-controller (I guess it's the VIA K8M800), but I highly doubt it won't support the disk.
The disk may be broken, the sata-controller may be broken. Try a different cable. Try connecting it to a different sata-connector. Set the bios to default or fail-safe default. Set the sata mode to AHCI or IDE, try both of them. Test the disk in another computer or external hard drive enclosure (if available).

Sorry I don't have the manual... Do you know what my other options are for updating the bios? Do I have to do that? I will try different cables and different SATA ports tonight. I am working on getting another computer to test it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom