Computer won't recognize new Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-rock

In Runtime
I am trying to install a new hard drive with Windows 7, but my computer doesn't seem to recognize the hard drive.

I have this motherboard:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR K8M800 Micro AM2 AM2 VIA K8M800 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

I just bought this hard drive:
Seagate ST32000542AS Barracuda LP Hard Drive - 2TB, 5900 RPM, 32MB, SATA-3G at TigerDirect.com

The bios my computer is running is:
phoenix award bios v6.00pg

I have the hard drive plugged into the SATA drive on the motherboard, I also have the power cable hooked up. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I really want/need to get this hard drive installed with Windows 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No it was not a SATA Drive... do I need to adjust something so that it will recognize the SATA drive?

No it doesn't seem to register that it is there. I am not sure how to turn on the SATA ports, or what I need to do.

perhaps, go into the bios and look for hard drive settings, and under an option for sata drives switch it to IDE. I can't be much more specific than that without having the manual in front of me. If you can't find anything in the bios lemme know and I'll get into it and find out, or give some other ideas.

In the bios, go to "Integrated Peripherals" > "Via OnChip IDE Device" then
"OnChip Sata" [enabled]
"Sata mode" [IDE]

I attached a picture of my bio and it appears that I have it set as it is supposed to be... Am I missing something else?

I have never had this problem before when adding a new hard drive... It isn't even showing up in the BIOS.

Attachments

• 2011-03-22_21-52-32_828.jpg
    2011-03-22_21-52-32_828.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,451
The settings look fine to me.

Other things I might consider is that the hard drive might bad or the drive is too big/new for your motherboard to detect it properly.

If you can, somehow test the drive on another system just to make sure it works.

My laptop has a SATA port on the side, but I am not sure how I can power it... I can try it there. I might be able to take it over to someone's house and give it a try as well..

Is there any reason that the computer wouldn't be able to recognize the hard drive because its too big?

EDIT: Do I need to upgrade my BIOS?

Also, I was able to install Windows 7 on the old drive and have it up and running, but I can't even get it to recognize the hard drive as a secondary drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom