New computer, slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jls1988

Beta member
Hi, I have a lot of computer experience. I've been on computer since the age of 8 (and now i'm 22) so I've been around. But lately I've been around a problem i've never experienced before. I just bought a computer (second handed, but the computer is one month old) and when I brought it home it was lagging and slow (windows vista 32bit was installed on it). So the thing that made more sense in my head was to format it, am I right? So that's what I did. I installed Windows 7 64 bits on it and guess what? It was still as laggy and slow. So now in my head, there's a problem that I don't understand, maybe linked to a hardware problem is what I'm thinking. I don't know a LOT about hardware in details so I thought maybe you guys could lead me on a path. I know for a fact that the problem is not the specs of my computer for sure.

Here they are :

- NZXT Tempest Evo II full size tower
- Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6 motherboard w/ box, disc, and all original cables
- Intel Core i5 750 Quad CPU @ 2.8ghz (never overclocked)
- ATI Radeon 5450HD 1GB DDR3 PCI-E 16x Video card with HDMI, DVI, SVGA
- LG Blu-Ray DVD-R/RW
- Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2000GB) SATA 3G Hard Drive w/64MB cache
- 4GB (2x2GB) Mushkin DDR3 1333 PC-16000 RAM (memory)
- Vantec 57-in-1 memory card reader w/ 2x USB, 2x 1394 and 2x E-SATA
- Orion 850W PSU (power supply)
- Corsair Hydro H50 CPU Internal Liquid Cooler

Lead me somewhere please, I need help.
PS: Give me your opinion on this... I paid 700$ for this, did I get ripped off?

Thank you!
-Jon

Get Memtest86+ Boot with it and let it go two passes at least. Any errors, and one of your memory sticks are bad. Might also want to run one stick at a time too, to make sure.

laggy and slow really doesn't tell us much. When is it running slow and laggy, playing games, MS Office, surfing the web? Have you ran a virus scan? Have you checked for Malware? Have you checked your CPU core temperatures? If it's running hot the PC will slow itself down in an effort to cool itself.

Temperature is not hot at all and I JUST FORMATTED like I said so it's not malware or virus. It is lagging and is really slow everytime I open something for the first time (like opening a Game for the first time, everytime I re-start my computer). I'll run that test and see how it goes.

what is your definition of hot? Not hot is when you just opened your PC from being closed over the whole night, that's room temperature actually. So I know that's not what the problem is. Can you spot anything else that could be problematic?

You say it's only slow/laggy during first start up of programs/games... Maybe you have a slow hard drive, or some other program is accessing the hard drive alot thus making your system run slow.

@Mindovermaster : Between what and what is considered a normal temperature, so I can see if I'm all good with that.

@ brinks : Even when I sign in in Windows it's slow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom