Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrstang

Daemon Poster
I was messing around in the BIOS and i decided to OC my memory. So i raise the FSB to 220 from 200 and loosen the timings to 2.5, 3, 3, 7 from 2326. I lowered the multiplier to 9 from 10 so as to not OC the CPU. And it failed to POST. So then i'm like ok....so i change the mem from 2:1 to 1:1 so that it runs at exactly the FSB and not OC it at all. In fact underclock it. The PC still fails to POST. So i'm thinking the Motherboard is whats holding the FSB back, not the ram or the CPU.

BTW this is in system 1 from my signature.

Well first off you probably shouldn't have simply jumped it from 200 to 220. Increments of 3-5MHz would have been better on the RAM more than likely.

If you clear the CMOS you can boot up your computer though right and it POSTs and you're able to get into the BIOS? (just making sure something isn't fried :p )

You should be able to get that memory up to 220FSB by changing your timings to 2-3-2-9 and quite possibly not have to change the Cas latency at all...also more than likely it'll require you upping the DIMM Voltage by .1 to have 2.7 instead of default 2.6v

After you've made changes such as these you should use memtest86+ to diagnose the memory for errors.

Bump it to 205..save settings without changing your timings or DIMM Voltage and run memtest86+. If you get an error (generally I find when OC'ing the ram it fails test 5 which is moving ones and zeros)....anyway if you get an error, then raise the Cycle Time (Tras) up by one giving you 2-3-2-7 if it errors on the first test or in that area, then you should loosen up the Cas latency to 2.5

Then go up to 210 and the Same thing applies. Test for errors and see if the previous settings can handle it. If not, raise the Cycle Time (Tras) by one and see if that corrects the problem. If it doesn't then up the Dimm Voltage. You can hit 2.8 Dimm voltage without any problems with that corsair RAM assuming you have heatspreaders on it, but with those timings I'm assuming it's XMS and it came with heatspreaders.

let me know if this helps

no, its the actual FSB that killing me. Even with the ram running at 180mhz and cpu at 1800mhz. Its probably the AGP/PCI cards running too high cuz at 220 they run at like 72mhzAGP/36PCI

Thanks for the attempted help, but this mobo just wasn't built for OCing.

Yes if you can't lock the AGP and PCI slots then you really shouldn't raise the FSB as that's about the quickest way to fry AGP and PCI Components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom