PC Keeps shutting down with no warning! Need some help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

viviffx

Baseband Member
ok, woke up this morning and my pc was on and was like wierd......, because I shut it down last night. I jumped on it and it shut down after 10 mins(As in shut down BAM off no shutting down menu at all just dead stop.) So I turned back on 5 mins later same thing. then after that it keeps turning on then off never even having a chance to restart. After that opened up case and reset video and ram turned it on again and ran for 10 mins then shut off again atm I am typing on laptop and I do have my desktop running but I am scared to touch it. In fear it is gonna shut off again? Any ideas from anyone. If you need more info let me now and I can give all I can, where my pc sits is in a open area and the temp of the room is about 55 degrees.

Try running memtest86+. Run each stick on its own, run for at least 2 passes. If any errors pop up, your memory stick is bad.

When the PC just shuts down it's usually one of two things:

1. Your CPU is overheating
2. Your Power Supply is dying fast.

Ok I cant check the memory, because my PC wont even stay on any more just keeps turning off and on. Another thing is if my PC is just sitting there off, it will turn on by it self and shut off 5 secs later and keeps cycling unless I flip the power switch in back or unplug which kills all power, if this helps anyone?

OK, slaymate you might be my hero again:
1. How can I tell if its overheating?
2.How can I check the Power supply?

Ill keep you guys posted and hope I can figure something else out.

If you can get into BIOS, tell us the temperature of your CPU. Should be under System Monitor or something.

If you have another PSU laying around, try it. If the problems go away, you know it is the PSU.

With it cycling on and off like that I would say it sounds more like a power supply or possibly the motherboard (double check the power switch and reset button wires).

If it won't run for more than a few seconds you really can't check your cpu temperature. Does the fan spin for those few seconds? I would remove the heatsink, clean the old paste off the heatsink and the cpu and re-apply new paste. Blow all the dust out with compressed air and re-install the heatsink.

Shutting down spontaneously would likely be power supply or perhaps MOBO but starting up again on it's own is a new one on me unless you're putting the computer to sleep not actually shutting it down. (You could have several devices such as network interface and modem which wake up the computer if it's in sleep mode.) Again, it could be the power supply or it could be the MOBO. To test this flip the power switch on the back of the PSU, open the computer case and unplug the power cable that has the bigger connector that plugs into the MOBO. Leave the case open and flip the power switch on the back of the PSU back to on. If the PSU doesn't start up again within a few minutes it's not the PSU.

Does the computer reboot spontaneously if you're in BIOS config? If yes then it's not an OS problem, it's hardware. If it stays running in BIOS, does it reboot if you're in Windows Safe Mode? (Get to Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key repeatedly while it's booting until you see the menu appear. If you see the Windows boot logo you missed it.) Start with the minimal Safe mode, no networking, etc. and see if it stays running. If that is ok try safe mode with networking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom