Which SSD would your recommend: OCZ Agility 2 60GB or Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliceN1derland

Baseband Member
I accidently purchased one of each of these SSD's:

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I would like to use one of these for Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Can anyone here recommend which one of these units would work best?

Thank you,

Alice

What motherboard will you be running this on?

If it has a SATA III controller on-board, take the Crucial hands down. SATA III boosts SSD performance a great amount.

Baez,

Thank you for your reply. I have a GA P67A-UD3 B-3. I am not sure about SATA III controller on-board [are you referring to a Marvel controller]? The manual does say this board has two SATA 6GB connectors for the storage interface. They are labeled SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 on the board itself and accept 6GB/s devices . Are you saying I should definitely go with the Crucial RealSSD C300?

Alice

I believe a Vertex 2 would have been a better choice =/

IMO I would keep the Agility 2. The 75MB write speed will bog you down in terms of raw performance compared to the 275MB on the Sandforce based Agility. Not to mention 15k IOPS on the write. I believe the Agility is 40k both ways and the Vertex 2 is 50k.

Baez,

Thank you for your reply. I have a GA P67A-UD3 B-3. I am not sure about SATA III controller on-board [are you referring to a Marvel controller]? The manual does say this board has two SATA 6GB connectors for the storage interface. They are labeled SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 on the board itself and accept 6GB/s devices . Are you saying I should definitely go with the Crucial RealSSD C300?

Alice

Yes the Marvel controller on new motherboards is the SATA III controller until chipsets have the support built in.

Read is faster on the Crucial by a fair amount. Write is about equal to the Agility. The Vertex is faster by a slight margin. With Crucial's new firmware release, the RealSSD is your best choice.

I believe a Vertex 2 would have been a better choice =/

IMO I would keep the Agility 2. The 75MB write speed will bog you down in terms of raw performance compared to the 275MB on the Sandforce based Agility. Not to mention 15k IOPS on the write. I believe the Agility is 40k both ways and the Vertex 2 is 50k.

Yes the Marvel controller on new motherboards is the SATA III controller until chipsets have the support built in.

Read is faster on the Crucial by a fair amount. Write is about equal to the Agility. The Vertex is faster by a slight margin. With Crucial's new firmware release, the RealSSD is your best choice.

Thanks guys!

The write on the Agility is up to 200MB/s faster......:wat:

He has the 64GB drive which has a sequential write of 75MB. It is in the specs on Newegg as well which is why I avoided the smaller Crucial SATA3 drives. Idk about anyone else but my SSDs are like my cars. You can go fast but you better be able to stop. If you're gonna read fast you better write just as fast too.

If you look on Newegg the 128GB and 256GB have much faster writes making the Agility the opportune drive to stick with in the 64GB range.

Also, if you look back one page you will see his more likely performance because you do alot more 4k read/writes than you do bigger. The Crucial 128 is actually one of the slowest making the 64GB version even slower in writes. Hence the reason why I said the Vertex is so much better because of the 50,000 4k IOPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom