PCI-E Graphics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent40

Baseband Member
I heard that both ATI and nVidia are releasing PCI-E versions of the X800 (XT) and 6800 (GT). When compared which one would be a better buy? I'm looking at mainly HL2 and CS:Source and I read somewhere that the X800 would be a better performer. Whats your take on it?

Since PCI-Express simply opens the bandwidth channel wider, making the cards work faster and able to handle more, both cards are going to benchtest similar to how they do now. The 6800GT cards outperform the x800s, and if you make them both faster, the 6800GTs will be faster than the x800s.

I would also bet that the 6800GTs outdo the x800s because NVIDIA has been on the PCI-E spec pretty good.

Found this as it seems to be the general view on it:

The non-PE XT is only about 50 bucks more than a 6800GT. They are very close in overall perfromance. Depends on what games you play. I had an x800pro flashed to XT and It kicked the crap out of my 6800GT in all the Unreal Engine games and the 6800GT beat the former by quite a good margin in Doom3, but everything else, including counter-strike source was quite close, though the ATI card had a slight edge.

I read an interview with A HL2 programmer and he said that the ATI card has a 20% better performace than the nVidia card. HL2 and Source are the main games I'm building my system for.

I can't seem to find some benchmarks comparing the two...anyone know of any?

First, PCI-Express is so new (among desktops) that reviews are few and far between.

Second, which programmer was it? What interview?

Lastly, had to be an old review, as Valve is focused on the NVIDIA 6800's and 6600's, now.

I can't find the magazine laying around, but it was in the November issue of "Maximum PC." It was an article about what hardware is needed to run HL2. It almost struck me as Valve and ATi were in business with each other.

I think I'll probably go with the 6800 GT PCI-E, because it seems to perform better and better image quality and its cheaper (*gasp*). Still more research needed tho. It'll be awhile before I make my purchase.

"it seems to perform better" is an incredible understatement. The x800 cannot compare to the power and performance of the 6800GT.

6800>x800

Has anyone ever wondered why when you buy a ati card....oh say a 9800 pro or xt...you get a voucher for a free HL2 game. maybe we should all get together and think why they would such a thing. first one to reply or pm me with the answer gets a cookie.

but seriously...valve has started to divert all their attention to the nvidia cards because they are simply better than all ATI's overpriced POS's.

I want a cookie! I completely forgot about the HL2 vouchers...now I know why Valve would support ATI's cards...thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom