Core i5 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenofix

Baseband Member
Hey Everyone,

Which board should I get/would you prefer?
- ASUS P8P67 Pro
- Gigabyte P67A-UD4
- Asrock P67 Extreme6

I'm trying (once again) to build a system. Could you guys critique it and see what needs improving, such as unnecessary or insufficient components.

EDIT: All prices are in Australian Dollars. (The currency is at parity but factor in shipping costs of the retailer)

=== ESSENTIALS ==================== PRICE ===
Intel Core i5 2500K -------------- $249.00
Asus P8P67-Pro ------------------- $219.00
WD 1TB HDD (WD1002FAEX) ----------- $96.00
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM ----- $99.00
G.SKILL RIPJAWS-X 1333 4GB x 2 --- $103.00
ANTEC TRUEPOWER 550W ------------- $105.00
Cooler Master Elite 430 ----------- $63.00
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ ---------- $33.00
SAMSUNG SATA BLU-RAY COMBO -------- $69.00
Asus VE248H ---------------------- $226.00

== SUB-TOTAL ==----------------- $1,262.00

=== OPTIONAL ====================== PRICE ===
Asus GTX 560-ti ------------------ $277.00
Creative T6160 5.1 ---------------- $65.00

== TOTAL ==--------------------- $1,604.00

My thoughts are that this computer's performance is going to be limited by the hard drive.

Further posts (for ease of reading)

Thanks for the reply.

I'm getting my prices from https://www.pcdiy.com.au/ad/Pricelist.pdf and some other shops.

Yea, I'm planning on overclocking.

lol those are speakers not sounds cards. ;)

I guess I could incorporate those.

I still have a 250GTS which is why it's optional for me at the moment. I do consider playing games, but for the time being, it's used for *educational purposes* :D

Too expensive. What do you think of the Momentus XT? Would it be good for this system?

Lol I would want to go with Asus just because I know Asus better than AsRock

I'm definitely not getting separate SSD and hard drives. I know want to have the hassle of having to specify folders from the default.
I'm actually quite interested in this one. Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ. Should I get this one or the Momentus XT in your opinion.

(Disregard the difference in size of the HDD)

Thanks. :)

1) unless you plan on ocing, you don't need a 3rd party cpu cooler; use the stock cooler.
2) sound card isn't really necessary being that most motherboards come with great integrated sound already.
3) that motherboard supports memory with a speed of 1600 without ocing...so I would get faster memory. I don't know where you're getting this from, so I just used newegg. Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
4) You don't need a graphics card unless you're planning on gaming or doing anything with high graphics. If this is the case, that gpu should be fine for todays games. I won't be able to play the most intensive games on the highest settings, but it will be able to play them.
5) This will be limited by the hard drive; if you want speed, get an SSD, I recommend OCZ's Vertex 2.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm getting my prices from https://www.pcdiy.com.au/ad/Pricelist.pdf and some other shops.

1) unless you plan on ocing, you don't need a 3rd party cpu cooler; use the stock cooler.
Yea, I'm planning on overclocking.

2) sound card isn't really necessary being that most motherboards come with great integrated sound already.
lol those are speakers not sounds cards. ;)
3) that motherboard supports memory with a speed of 1600 without ocing...so I would get faster memory. I don't know where you're getting this from, so I just used newegg. Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
I guess I could incorporate those.

4) You don't need a graphics card unless you're planning on gaming or doing anything with high graphics. If this is the case, that gpu should be fine for todays games. I won't be able to play the most intensive games on the highest settings, but it will be able to play them.
I still have a 250GTS which is why it's optional for me at the moment. I do consider playing games, but for the time being, it's used for *educational purposes* :D

5) This will be limited by the hard drive; if you want speed, get an SSD, I recommend OCZ's Vertex 2.
Too expensive. What do you think of the Momentus XT? Would it be good for this system?

I always recommend a third party over a stock cooler.

You can always OC the memory, not hard.

No need for a GFX? What age are you living in? Some boards don't come with onboard these days.

While SSD's are the latest hype, not every build needs them.

Sorry about the sound card mistake, I was on a crappy computer w/ crappy internet and I saw "creative" and assumed sound card. :p

I said gpu was only useless if he wasn't playing games... :)

(Every build needs needs a SSD :p )

I always recommend a third party over a stock cooler.
You can always OC the memory, not hard.
No need for a GFX? What age are you living in? Some boards don't come with onboard these days.
While SSD's are the latest hype, not every build needs them.

So is the Momentus XT a good choice or is there something better?
Also, is it better to get the ASRock P67 Ext6 over this Asus p8p67 pro if they are both the same price?

Thanks

Seagate claims the Momentus XT is 80% faster than a traditional hard drive...many reviews claim it is much faster. I personally wouldn't bother, but if you don't want to pay extra for a SSD, then go for it.

Personally, I like Asus better. They tend to have better boards + customer support.

Seagate claims the Momentus XT is 80% faster than a traditional hard drive...many reviews claim it is much faster. I personally wouldn't bother, but if you don't want to pay extra for a SSD, then go for it.

Personally, I like Asus better. They tend to have better boards + customer support.

Lol I would want to go with Asus just because I know Asus better than AsRock

I'm definitely not getting separate SSD and hard drives. I know want to have the hassle of having to specify folders from the default.
I'm actually quite interested in this one. Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ. Should I get this one or the Momentus XT in your opinion.

(Disregard the difference in size of the HDD)

Thanks. :)

From what I can see, the Momentus XT is a laptop hard drive?? But that doesn't really matter. Get that one since it claims to be 80% faster.

Actually, nvm :p

Other than booting faster, the Momentus XT is slower than Spinpoint because the Momentus XT is indeed a slower HDD portion than the Spinpoint.
A candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long
:D

I think that's my build.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom