Help with startup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamestar

Baseband Member
I have a problem with my computer when i shutdown and yes i do shutdown correctly. Some info, on my computer. It was custom built with phenonom x4 3400, 4 Gb kingston ram and 5850 ati graphics card. Since the computer was cutom built there was no windows, so i orderd windwos 7 premium on ebay and i bought the cheaper one that comes with no mircrosoft support i forogt what it was call oem or somthing. When got my windows i had a little trouble figuring out how to install it but, i then went into bios and changed the boot settings to boot from cd rom and it installed and works great. The problem is when i shutdown my computer for around and 30 min or more it wont boot back up correctly windows always wants to do a system restore. The werid thing is if shutdown, then start back instantly no problem or if i just always put my computer in sleep mode no problem aswell, also i can retstart as many times as i want without a problem eveything works fine besides when i shutdown for 30 mins or more then try to repower. Any idea what this is or how i can fix it?

What seems like is happening is that your computer is powering on, the capacitors are getting electricity and doing their thing and when you shut down they don't fully drain right away, because capacitors hold electricity when the power is shut off to them, so when you immediately turn it back on it has some power left in the system, and when you put it to sleep the system still draws power, all the components just run at an extremely low powered state and the capacitors never drain. When you shut down all the system start up info, date time and everything is held in the CMOS which is like a little data holding battery. My guess is when the capacitors fully drain all the information should be held in the CMOS, but the CMOS is dead and so when you start the PC back up it has nothing to go on, so the default thing would be to do a system restore.

Luckily for you it's an easy thing to test out and see if it is indeed the case. All you'll have to do is order a new CMOS battery and install it, and then shut the computer off for an extended period of time and boot it back up and if it was the CMOS it'll work fine.

What's the model of your motherboard, and I'll get a link to where to buy the CMOS battery, and where the CMOS is on your specific board. And removing and installing the new one is super easy, even easier than changing the boot order in the bios ;)

i forgot the number to my board its a asus, how can i find it? Also you dont think it has anything thing to with the copy of windows i bought or anything in bios? What you explained though sounds almost exactly whats going on. its like the boot memory dissapears after shuting down for to long. also whats the pice range usally for these cmos batters?

actually your local hardware store should have them, what'd I'd do is pop it out and bring it in and get a replacement because they have different model numbers so you wouldn't want to get the wrong one. They're pretty cheap, like $10 max.
Documentation
that's the dell guide to removing your cmos battery and the link below is what it looks like on a motherboard
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kY0CRNfS97Q/SwO0pN5ucqI/AAAAAAAAAC8/w4lVV6Ej_QY/s1600/cmos.jpg

the dell guide has a lot of unnecessary crap involved in it, but it's a pretty thurough guide so it's worth a read because it covers every little detail of how not to harm your pc, but basically turn off the pc, unplug the power to it, hit the power button with everything unplugged a bit, (that will drain the capacitors) touch the side of your case to ground yourself so you don't zap your components and then using a flat head screw driver pop the battery out. and reinstalling it is even simpler, just don't plug anything back in, and put it into the holder, make sure it snaps in all the way and then turn it on and go.

It could be an issue of a bad install, but I've seen issues with bad cmos batteries and it seems more plausible than a bad install in this case seeing as how when you restart it or immediately turn it back on it's fine.

When you installed Windows did you also install the drivers from the motherboard CD? If not do so.

If the battery or drivers don't help I would suspect the motherboard.

Ok, well i replaced the battery and it works now. But now i have a new problem. After shutdown when i startup everythng is good until i try to open interent explorer the computer will blue screen and then crash any ideas?

well, once again it seems to fine aslong as i dont shutdown for 10mins or longer, but now my computer does startup fine until i try to go on to interent explororer then i get like 3 error message and an instant system crash. i had to reinstall the whole windows just to get everything working again. idk about the code seem to be different everytime one was 0x72ed2d2f talking about somthing with memeory altho im almost postive my memeoy is fine and also i the bsod say somthing about bad pool. again if i just put my computer in sleep mode its fine... so i still have the same problem as earlier its just different now ;(

We need Stop 0x00

Like this pic:

Blue-screen-2.jpg

Well, is there anyother for me to get that info? i dont really feel like crashing my computer again because then i have to reinstall windows all over again just to get back online ;( but i guess i will if i have to....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom