Not open for further replies.

mosquito_root

Beta member
Hello all !

I have a server with Intel S5000PSL motherboard and 6 hard drives like this:
a. 3 units 1 TB
b. 2 units 500 GB
c. 1 unit 80 GB

There is a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise OS and I want to create 2 RAID massives (1 and 5 levels) from BIOS, but the motherboard do not support this. The technical reference of motherboard indicates that the motherboard support 0/1/10 levels RAID and 5 level RAID with a licence. But from BIOS I can not create any RAID, I can't see there any BIOS options to do this.
So can I add any RAID controller to this motherboard ? If yes, will I have the possibility after that to create RAID from BIOS, if I will take updates for BIOS ?

Please give me idea to create RAID in this situation !

Thanks in advance !

You can add a RAID controller, which is a separate card that you install on a free PCI slot. The motherboard not supporting raid onboard means SATA drives can't be setup on a RAID through the motherboard because there is no RAID controller onboard.

Reading the specifications of the MB it doesn't support RAID - again this means that natively the motherboard doesn't have an onboard controller for RAID. What this means is you can however install a RAID controller on a free PCI slot. Then you would be plugging the drives into that controller which would do the RAID 'footwork'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom