Need Help badly for my Acer Aspire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decka

Solid State Member
My laptop quickly went from working well to being barely functional.

Laptop Specs:
Acer Aspire 5740
Intel(R) Core TM i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13 GHZ
RAM 4 GB 3.68 usable
64 bit
Windows 7 Home Premium

The first thing I noticed was the Firefox Redirct, which would direct me to a different site (usually one asking me to buy something) rather than the link I clicked on. I would have to back up and re-click the link, and then I'd reach my intended destination.

I then noticed I couldn't access my Gmail. I could access google fine, and my hotmail, yahoo, etc. It was something about Gmail, the website wouldn't respond.

The main site I was referencing was
Google Redirect Virus

I did some research and was told it might be something to do with my Firewall.
(McAfee – Firewall enabled, Personal Information protection = on.)
Further research recommended me to check my "host" file, and

1. removed all google sites from the host file (c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)

2. turned off javascript (Firefox/tools/options/content)

3. Downloaded/ran TDDSKiller System Scan
Processed: 256 objects, Infection: not found

4. Ran a Malwarebytes full scan, and here are the results:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
Malwarebytes

Database version: 5854

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

2/24/2011 2:01:55 PM
mbam-log-2011-02-24 (14-01-55).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 273905
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 19 minute(s), 59 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

5. I ran a Hitman Pro 3.5.8 64-bit one time scan
- No threats Found
- 2 Traces: atdmt.com Tracking Cookie, Statse.webtrandslove.com Tracking cookie

After doing all that and shutting down my computer, I returned a few days later and found new problems:

- I would Double click firefox, which would be "loading" for nearly a minute, and then tell me "Firefox taking too long to respond"
- Then I tried Yahoo, which appeared. However, ANY search I attempted would give me a "Yahoo.com taking too long to respond" page.
- I even tried Bing.com - "Cannot access page"

So I said "screw firefox" and tried Internet Explorer:
- Google.com: "Internet explorer cannot cannot display webpage" Diagnose connection problems
- Yahoo.com: Yahoo appears, but like above, if I Type in any search? "Yahoo taking too long to respond"

The Odd thing is, I can access my hotmail, facebook, AND bookmarked page, and they update. I'm connected. I can send and receive emails on those pages.

I then tried a system restore to about six months ago, and now even MORE problems showed up.

Now, when I double click Firefox, it crashes and I get a Mozilla Crash Report. When I double click Internet explorer, it says "Igoogle redirect" and gives me "The address is not valid" page.

I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help?

Set the internet explorer's back to default. A lot of times with the redirect virus's they put a proxy server setting into the program to redirect you.

I'm new to this, so bear with me... but how could setting internet explorer's defaults solve a problem in firefox?

It seems that both firefox and explorer have the same hang up... they both can oddly run websites in my history such as facebook and hotmail.. but cannot do any new searches or independent actions. It's as if something is preventing them from "learning any new tricks"... or, quite simply, from just going someplace new on the internet.

Granted, firefox now crashes whenever i open it, but before this crash extravaganza began, that's what would happen.

I'm kinda stuck on this laptop. I can't do any "work" towards fixing it on that computer because I can't go anywhere. Do you really think simply changing explorer's settings back to default will do the trick? I'm no tech wiz, but the problem seems a bit more intricate than that.

Have you ran all of these scans in safe mode? If not I'd recommend doing that right away. If this doesn't provide you with any results, I would uninstall Firefox and reinstall. Possibly download something like Google Chrome for back up. I primarily use Chrome and I really like it for the time being.

If a system restore didn't help, I would recommended just reformatting your HD. Do a complete wipe and reinstall windows. This would most definitely clear up the issues. Sounds like you have a pretty bad virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom