System Issues, Overheating CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnetking2000

Beta member
I have recently been having some problems with my system. I built it about three years ago and it has run great, with a few exceptions along the way. Right now I am having problems with my audio and I think it is stemming from my CPU overheating. The problem itself is that at first my headset would not work at all, so I disassembled the system, cleaned off all the contacts and rebuilt it. Then I reinstalled the Realtek audio drivers. My headset speakers now work, but I can not get the microphone to work. My regular speakers work well also. My system is running at 34°C, but my processor is running at 80°C. It is using the original heatsink and fan that it came with. It has been running fine these past few years, but now it is giving me problems. I am considering replacing the heatsink with a better aftermarket one, or possibly even liquid cooling. Am I headed in the general right direction, or are there other things I should be looking at? I am willing to supply any and all information necessary to get help with this. Here are my system specifications.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory: (2) OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2N800SR4GK
Graphics: EVGA 512-P3-N861-AR GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI
HDD: 500GB 7200 RPM WDC WD50 01AALS-00L3B SCSI
HDD: 640GB 7200 RPM WDC WD64 00AAKS-22A7B SCSI
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
CD/DVD:

I would start by cleaning off the old thermal paste from the heatsink/cpu and replacing it with new paste.

Newegg.com - Arctic Silver MTX-2.5G Matrix Thixotropic Premium Thermal Compound

If that doesn't lower your CPC temperature then I would replace the heatsink. This is better than the original and suitable for mild overclocking.

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

If your still having audio problems after fixing the cooling problem, then it's probably your motherboard. You can replace it or buy a sound card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom