POST problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

antirem

In Runtime
Im having trouble with two computers with the same problem. I just bought a new motherboard (a p848p-a) and a p4 slot celeron. I bought just the motherboard and cpu and then hooked up the powersupply and what not from other misl. parts. When the comuter turns on it sounds right and everything turns on except the monitor.
I have tried resetting the cmos, different monitors, videocards (pci and vga), ram.. all the extra little parts that make it work. The monitor just wont turn on? I know that all the pices work except for the motherboard and cpu...?
The one wierd thing about it is that when you reset the cmos while the computer is on the copmputer usually restarts. My computer dosnt?
The only thing I have not traded out and put in a different one was the powersupply. The reason being is that my other power supplys dont have the extra cord for the p4's
I have a tough time seeing my new cpu having a post problem but it sure looks like it

The one wierd thing about it is that when you reset the cmos while the computer is on the copmputer usually restarts.
You're not supposed to clear the CMOS with the computer on.....

You made sure to plug in the computer speaker right? The one that allows the computer to simply BEEP! Although I believe Intel boards generally come with this speaker already attached to the motherboard.
Sounds like something isn't seated right, or if everything is seated right then the motherboards grounding out, RAM is bad, or CPU is bad. When there's a hardware problem power will go to your computer but it'll simply not boot up and it's not showing anything to the monitor not because of the monitor or video card but rather because the system can't work properly. To troubleshoot it to find if there is defective hardware you must completely remove the motherboard, put it on something non conductive like a lot of cardboard, then put in ONE RAM stick, Vid card, your CPU, and Keyboard and see what the computer does. Mainly you want to hear a beep because that'll tell you what's wrong and where. When you have your mobo out like I said, you then simply remove each piece one at a time until you find the problem. Once you remove something and the computer beeps or POSTS then you know that part is faulty

well, you can clear cmos in the bios by selecting "Reset NVRAM/Clear NVRAM", I'm HOPING thats what you are talking about and not pulling the battery and/or setting the jumper on the MBD with it turned on. That would be bad. Sounds to me like maybe a grounding issue? Have you tried running it with the MBD taken completely out of the case and on a antistatic material? That will let us know if its grounding out to the case. Also, hook it up as bare bones. No cdrom, floppy, etc. Just the CPU, memory, HDD and vid card/monitor. See if you get a screen then, if not then remove it from the case with the same bare bones config.

killian you said
"you can clear cmos in the bios by selecting "Reset NVRAM/Clear NVRAM""
is this on the motherboard? when you say select im thinking that there is an option on the screen
I have only been working on it outside of the case so its already barebones.
Nubius I already stated that I have switched out all of the exta componets (monitor, ram, you name it) and I've tested them on other machines.
The reason why I found the no monitor so wierd was that there were no beeps... it was like it was running fine...? I hooked up some speakers and it still didn't beep.

A tech said that the problem might be the power supply. I've never had a problem with it but that might be because I never had to use that extra connector that only goes to p4 boards. The power supply is the only thing that I have not switched out for another one. This is because its the only with the extra p4 hook up. (that hook up powers the cpu roght?)

well, from what your saying all power is going but no signal is getting to the monitor. It IS possible its the power supply, but I kind of doubt it, but instead of throwing more money into it you could try the above.

I checked the power supply with a volt-o-meter so the powersupply is fine. Killian I already tried the above.
Nubius you were right there was no internal speaker on the motherboard so i added one from a case (still bare bones but case is next to the motherboard) I didn't here any beeps from it!? My friend is bringing a new speaker tommorow just to make sure that the speakers are not the problem. Any other suggestions? thanks for the help so far!

You are plugging in that tiny little speaker that plugs in near the front panel power button and reset button pins? Because that's the kind of speakers your friend has a few spare of that he can bring over? Kinda cool....anywho yeah if it's not making beeps then there's a hardware problem and you need to now do the one on one hardware removal to find that illusive beep!

Nubius how you phrased that con fused me...
"You are plugging in that tiny little speaker that plugs in near the front panel power button and reset button pins?" I have pugged in both an internal and an exernal speaker (there is none on the motherboard)

"Because that's the kind of speakers your friend has a few spare of that he can bring over?" If you are talking about internals yes he is.... hopefully tonight.

"if it's not making beeps then there's a hardware problem and you need to now do the one on one hardware removal to find that illusive beep!" I thought the beeps told what hardware was bad (3beeps mean ram etc) but I have dont the one on one. Different everything except the powersupply which I tested with a vol-o-meter and it works. Just no monitor. I'm stumped. Ive tried everthing to cpu, motherboard, and power to everything on it.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom