a possible ram memory problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrim

Solid State Member
It started with a slow start up that wouldn't get past the Welcome screen.
After hours of research on the laptop and trying all sorts of things, I have concluded that my RAM is not working properly. The stick itself is not the problem because I tried a substitute and it made no difference.
When it gets to the first screen that says starting up the flashing light that indicates the computer is working fades out. and then only occasionally flickers.

I managed to get into safe mode and did all my scans. No difference.

I am running XP and have a 2gig stick.

Can someone please give more some help or advice.

Hi, I I recommend you look into this first and test out your memory if you can with this.
Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic

Download the utility and put this on a flash drive and reboot in dos mode, after the bios post.
In windows xp please look at your event viewer for me and please tell me, what red x errors it's marking up.
I hope to god, it isn't your hdd giving your problems, if it says disk read error at 1pm, 2pm , 6pm cannot read hdd correctly it's most likely windows is trying to tell you the hdd, might be going out.
But will see what you give me to look at later, if you do see either one errrors, please start backing up only important files, and begin the process of repairing your laptop.
How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP

HI Mike Thanks for your help so far.

I will have to work on the memory test later but then if you are only awake at midnight then it will probably be done by then LOL
The events log has a few red X but they only seem to be related to starting in safe mode. They all say a device is not working. I went to device manager and the only one with any mark was the printer and that was because it is not available in safe mode.
I'll be back with more time later today

Yeah, I'll log back on 12pm est, if I don't hear from you by then, I'll check in at 7am to see what happened.

on the 28th Feb an event happened logged as "TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of current connect attempts."

Does this mean a hack attempt. this is the last time it happened, it also happened on days previous.

I am going through teh events log now.

quite a few error logs were about as aware. I can't remember using it for ages. All that I can find is an email scanner in the lavasoft folder. Malware had a heap of ad aware in the quarantine folder which have now been deleted.

I haven't had much luck with a memory test. I couldn't download the suggested program and I couldn't load another one supplied to me.
Still working on it.

What I am missing is the noise of the HD? running. The one that starts up when booting up. This is beginning to sound serious.

About what event viewer said about tcp-ip connect attemps, there is nothing to be concerned about if you know where the ip address is and if a device or computer is trying to connect through your pc to get accesss to the router for networking.

Matter of fact copy the ip address and and go to look up my ip address.com and put in the ip adress.
If that ip address is not coming within your house or your neighbosr and is trying to be remotely connected by someone in another city, state or even conutry...

You will need to put a wepkey or wpa2 key with network name and lock down your network.
WIndows 7 firewall does a good job of doing this, but even it needs ,ore help when stuff from the internet comes flying through your window.
I recommend you look into ZA free edition, ZA pro or the comodo suite those three will handle well and help assist you of what you want accessing your pc and what you don't want coming.
Look at network magic 5.3 or higher, as it will give you a map of whats connected to you and whats trying to forece its way in.

About your hdd, if is making a clicking sound or a low whirling noise "it" moght be failing.
Use piriforms accuva to check it, and windows built in chdsk uitilty to see waht it has to say.

Hi sorry I didn't get back yesterday. I am getting advice from a few places and they all took time. One of them suggested a system restore which sort of worked. I am waiting for the problem to start again.

But that does rule out most hardware problems though, I hope.

I am getting an error message when starting up. I have only done this twice since restoring and I don't know if it was the same message.

Here is a copy of the message

EventType : clr20r3 P1 : lxdcamon.exe P2 : 1.0.2676.13196
P3 : 4635dee9 P4 : app4r.monitor.core P5 : 1.0.2676.13195
P6 : 463855db P7 : b P8 : 114 P9 : system.nullreferenceexception

help please?

ok, your first error relates to IE8 and .net framework, what version do you have currently rinning ?
If it's 2.0 please update to .net 3.0 wait for the install to finish and reboot.
After you did this please load up IE8 and load MSDN | Microsoft Development, Subscriptions, Resources, and More for testing, if it bugs out again it is most likely a IE browser problem.
If you have not given IE8 any updates get it from windows update and it should download a newer version of IE8 or put you up for IE9.

Got an error today: EventType clr20r3, P1... - Elton's Ark - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
Read this a little bit and it will help explain some things.

lxdcamon.exe Windows process - What is it?
About your second problem, the lxdcamon.exe doesn't look right, it could be total file corruption or you might have a malware problem.
Download antimalware bytes, reboot into safe mode and have it do a full scan, if it picks any malware it will try to quarentine and get rid of the file once it has new malware and spyware definitons.

Be highly aware, if antimalware bytes cannot get rid of it, there will be another way to eliminate it but it will take patience and effort to restore your windows os.
If it comes to that, send me a pm and will get started first thing tomorrow.

I don't use IE. The system restore would have removed any updates and the computer has updated some things since then. Unless it is going to affect performance then I would prefer not to update it.

I have scanned with Malware and it did find a lot but these were probably most of the ones that I removed several weeks ago when I did another scan. I don't know if I was successful, I had the same error message when I restarted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom