In Over My Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

goosegas

Solid State Member
I recently made the huge mistake of buying a Cyberpower Computer with an Xtremegear 600W Power Supply. (2 mistakes actually)

I guess I read one too few threads before choosing the components for this build.

After 2 months, my monitor has begun to dim and my Aerocool 2000 Fan Control, Temp Sensor unit is considerably dimmer than 2 months ago.

I followed the advise of just about everybody and ordered a Corsair 750TX PSU.

I already knew I was going to find quite a wiring bundle on the new PSU, by reading and looking at the Newegg photos. What I didn't expect was what I found when I opened the wiring side of the Coolermaster HAF 912 case.

I guess this should not have been a big surprise to me as the build has a DVD Drive, Card Reader & the Aerocool unit taking up 4 bays in the front of the unit. Between the fan control wires, the temp sensors and the power cables, you wouldn't believe what it looks like.

I took a deep breath and said "I just need to follow the wires from the power supply and label them as I disconnect them. I quickly found out that this was going to be a task and a half.

The peripheral cables on the existing power supply were plugged into other peripheral cables, which then branched off to either a component or split to two two wire plugs, which I can't even see where they are going.

Even the Geforce GTX 460 GPU is confusing. The old power supply has two 6 hole plugs, but one of the plugs is a dummy, so there are only 5 wires per plug. The Corsair has the two 6 plug holes, with 6 wires in each.

I still didn't want to give up, so I said maybe I can just disconnect at the very first connection for each bundle coming out of the old PSU and just connect the new PSU to those points, forgetting about where all these other branch offs go to. I quickly noticed that each individual wire coming out of the Corsair was almost twice as thick as those coming out of the XtremeGear. To me, I think the only way to do this properly would be to go from the PSU to the component, not using all these thin wired connections and branch offs.

Even the AC cord to the Corsair is considerably heavier than the XtremeGear.

If I didn't already take a beating from Cyberpower, I might just take it somewhere and pay to have it installed.

Cyberpower refused to do anything but send me another XtremeGear PSU, even though they must be aware of the poor quality, especially if they read their own forums. They wouldn't even allow me to pay them the upgrade for the Corsair. Even if they sent me the same XtremeGear unit, which would make no sense, they wouldn't do that until I returned their $25.00 POS first.

My head is spinning over this and I am afraid that if I don't get this Corsair in there, my components will be degrading by the minute.

I understand that without seeing the unit, it is very difficult to make suggestions, but I really need some help on this one.

Thanks All!!!!

And this is why we advise people to build their own - even the most inexperienced builder can put together a better PC than an underpaid worker putting together a PoS filled with rubbish parts.

(It would be good if you could post a picture of the system in question - not essential but can give us a better idea of the situation)

Anyway, it should just be a case of following each each cable from the power supply (or the component) and unplugging it from the component (or the split-wire) that it's plugged into. This includes all those little offshoots - if you take all the cables out, then we can tell you where each one needs to go.

Having a checklist will probably help, since you'll have a better idea of what you need to achieve; I can list what power connections there are, if you like, so that you know exactly what you'll be after.

or split to two two wire plugs, which I can't even see where they are going.
Probably power for the fan(s).

Btw, the Corsair has a larger number of cables, and those cables are longer too, so those offshoot cables probably won't be needed.

If you take your time, and remember every device needs a power connector, its not to bad. You can connect 2 or 3 things to 1 power cable, and the aerocool probably runs 1 power in and 4 out whichdon't connect to the psu.

Yes the 2 2 wire are fans.

And this is why we advise people to build their own - even the most inexperienced builder can put together a better PC than an underpaid worker putting together a PoS filled with rubbish parts.

(It would be good if you could post a picture of the system in question - not essential but can give us a better idea of the situation)

Anyway, it should just be a case of following each each cable from the power supply (or the component) and unplugging it from the component (or the split-wire) that it's plugged into. This includes all those little offshoots - if you take all the cables out, then we can tell you where each one needs to go.

Having a checklist will probably help, since you'll have a better idea of what you need to achieve; I can list what power connections there are, if you like, so that you know exactly what you'll be after.

Probably power for the fan(s).

Btw, the Corsair has a larger number of cables, and those cables are longer too, so those offshoot cables probably won't be needed.

Thanks so much for the vote of confidence and the help with these little offshoots of wiring.

You are right that each of these little offshoots either went to a fan or to the Aerocool unit.

I held my breath and gave it a shot and it worked. I did have a fan problem at first (Top Fan & Radiator Fan), so I shut down immediately and checked all connections. I found that one of the 4 pin peripheral connectors pushed the pin out of the opposite side, so there was no contact for two of the four wires. I held all the wires in place with a pliers and the connector went in correctly.

All looks good, everything has power. Although I can't say with certainty that the Aerocool is brighter, I am still very relieved that the Corsair is in and that other unit is out.

Thanks Again to all here who helped!!!

Well, maybe I spoke too soon.

After about 2 hours of use, I got a BSOD.

This repeated itself about 4 times over the next 30 minutes.

Tell me what information you will need from Event Viewer, etc.

It is 7AM and I have been up all night. I will supply what you need to try to assist later today.

In the meantime, has anybody heard of the changing out a power supply resulting in BSOD"S?

I can assure you that I went nowhere near the memory sticks, and don't remember even mildly bumping anything inside the case.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom