help with hard drive??

Status
Not open for further replies.
that is why you make backups and use a central store for your data. but then that is a money issue for some... I simply back up the data I need to keep. Droped a few hundred on a tape drive and can back up my 1.28 TB of data over night now. Although, it takes a few tapes...

Inaris. Do u have 1 single partition with both XP and all files like MP3, mocies, other stuff, setups?

Do u backup the entire partition including all these files?

this is going to be long...
Gaming rig...
I have Primary drive is 80gb. System files and major programs that I need there. total used space is 20gb.
2nd drive- 2x 80gb IDE hdd in RAID0 all games installed here and game save data
3rd drive 2x 120gb SATA HDD in RAID0 All Media files are here, MP3's and video I'm working on
4th drive 2x 120 gb SATA hdd in RAID0 used to store data backups from other drives when ghosting. and overflow space when needed.
Server box...
1st drive patitioned at 10Gb and 30gb. 10gb is system partition for easy restore when things go wrong. 30gb for important programs that I rely on.
2nd drive 2 80gb IDE hdd RAID0 secondary programs
3rd drive 2 80 gb IDE hdd RAID0 Media. Mosty movies. Large DVD collection I'm converting to file. 450 or so disc and I have about 1/2 on here.
4th driver 2 80 gb IDE hdd RAID0 more movies and some MP3's
PVR
1st drive 80GB ide- system and programs
2nd drive 2 160 gb SATA hdd RAID0 for storing recored TV and what not...

That is my configuration. I have a all of my drives shared out in a logical manner so I know where all of my files are and can access anything I need to, from any machine. The backups I do about once a month. It takes about 18 hours of total time to do the whole process. i do full backups of everything during that process. I've had to restore twice... But it works for me...

w00t...nice setups.

well..in ur case..enough HD's to organize ur data properly without partitioning! :)

though u woud setup some RAID1's, it would save some backup time. though it prolly won't fit if u want everything mirrored. (depending on used space ofcourse) It would be a hell of a job to change verything, though.

you have no idea... I'm currently looking into building a new server with RAID 5 so this won't be such an issue in the future. I hope to have at least 8 200GB SATA drives in the array. Although the Controller is about $900 so I'm currently still looking for other options.

darkwingduck said:
i guess. im asking how much do i use for my OS system that i will be putting in the NTFS partition. im already using i think 4.84 gigs for the fat 32 D disk. im currentloy using about 7.13 gigs for my NTFS. i want to take it up to maybe 14 gigs, how much is that in MB??

if you ant to suggest that i use the rest of the space minus the fat 32 space, how much would that be in MB??? is using the rest of the space safe???

thanks for answering my questionS everyone:rolleyes:

oops :)

It depends on how many programs you want to install on your XP partition. My partition is 5GB and I have about 10 programs installed ritenow...its using 3.5GB

14GB =14336MB

Its safe to use the rest of the space. But what do u mean with the rest of the space? Do u have unallocated space left?

Is this what u have ritenow: |.......7.13GB NTFS......|....unallocated/unformatted.....|...4.84GB FAT32...|

I would use the unallocated space. depending on the files or programs u are going to use i would add it to ur FAT32 or NTFS partition.

say u want to install lots of programs on ur NTFS XP partition then add the space to the NTFS... if you want to download lots of stuff or want to install lots of games on ur FAT32 then add space there.

:)

so if i wanna download oalot of stuff i would allocate some spcae to my fat 32 if i wanted to add more programs then ill allocate some space to my NTFS right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom