Looking to buy or build a home server

Status
Not open for further replies.
My advice would be to build a quad core machine with a single CPU and lots of RAM.
The mobo, case and PSU will depend on how your storage is configured (which you said could change in the future). I think it is quite unlikely that you will have any more than 4 HDDs and a DVD-RW so an m-ATX mobo, 450W PSU (think about the connectors), and a mid-size case will be adequate.

I absolutely appreciate your help! I wasn't quite sure if building a dedicated server was any different than building a home pc or not. It seems as if it is not and all I have to do is throw windows server on it.

Would it be worth looking into eco friendly hardware or would this start to interfere with my performance? I can also assume this will make the rig much more costly to build.

Building a server is only different to building a desktop in that your priorities are different. Hardware and software are ways of realising those priorities but your budget will limit your options here. Unless you are a student or otherwise able to get MS Server at a vastly reduced price, Server 08 will take a considerable portion of your budget.

I have found both of these systems via craigslist. Would they work for what I want to do?

First one is a :

IBM x3400

Has a 1.86ghz quad core xeon processor
Two 300gb 15k SAS drives
16GB (8x2gb) DDR2 ECC Memory (upgraded)
Dual power supplies
DAT Tape drive with controller (no tapes)
DVD Burner (Upgraded)

650$ price tag. Maybe able to talk down to 600.

Second is a :

HP ML350 G3

Two 2.2ghz Xeon Processors
1.5g ram
Two 36gb 15,000rpm drives
Two 146gb 15,000pm drives
10/100/1000 network
Dvd-Rom
Tape Drive

And he is asking 250$ obo.

The second one is a good price for me and it has a 2.2 Xeon(I was told this is equal to 4 processors some how?) where as the first has a 1.86. Minecraft (java) can only use one core so I thought maybe the 2.2 would be better to handle the high processing load. The only problem is it has a ram cap of 8gb. The first one is in price range but if I do not need all of that power for what I am using it for it would be a waste of money. Again, I plan on using it for the game server , backup, and streaming. The most traffic it would get at once is the game server and sharing a movie with a pc/laptop. I looked over what hosting a web page would require and it just simply isn't going to happen. lol.

Also, that is copy and pasted, could you explain the DAT Tape drive with controller (no tapes) + Tape Drive to me?

Ty you again for your responses!

After reading your post, maybe you should look into building just a normal tower.

After all a server is defined by:
Reliability
Redundancy
And Performance

I would just get a mid range quad, with a decent power supply, a SSD based storage for the OS and APP's, a cheap SATA drive for storing movies+music. 4GB+ of ram and that should do it. And I would hook it up to a UPS (something to keep it running for at least an hour or two during an outage)

And keeping tabs on it with maybe VNC to remotely control it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom