Micros POS and connection problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixfeetdeep

Baseband Member
This may be a hard one to answer for anyone who has not used Micros POS (Point of Sale)machines/networks. It runs of the main computer WIN NT 2000 with 2 terminals for ordering up in the front of the restaurant, these are small systems with built in monitors with touch screen support. The 2 comps up front are connected to the main computer through a Switch. So the connection goes Main comp>Switch>Built in cat5 connection that runs to the front of the restaurant> Both touchcreen machines.

It worked FINE a few days ago and now we only have use of 1 of the 2 machines up front.
Now the problem we are having is that one of the front computers is not showing up on the switch or the main computer, and it wont load the ordering software as it says i cannot connect to the main comp.
I have checked all the connections, done a full reboot, reset the switch etc., still nothing. Now i'm not quite sure how to troubleshoot this problem.
I figure it has to be a bad switch, Cat5 cable is fried, modem in the bad computer went out, any other suggestions?
Could it be the program that runs them all is not allowing the 3rd computer access?

I would call there tech support but our company is not doing so great atm and we owe them some cash. They wont help us until we pay them and thats not going to happen any time soon.

Pls any info on similar problems with a network or any other Micros info would be great!! thanks for taking the time to post.

I you need more info about the network i will do my best to find it.

PS. i have built a few computers and set up a few networks so i know some basics but definatley not a pro.

EDIT: I went into the hardware profiles and under system devices it says that the System Board Extension for PnP BIOS is either not installed or not working??

few things to do, use a fluke tester to see if the cable is bad. You could also do that through a switch to see if it can detect the length of the cable going from the cable to switch (length one) and switch to server. That'll help isolate the problem. Also have you tried pings, nbtstat, etc to check communications?

Never used pings or nbtstat what are they??

Also can the cables just go bad? and what is a fluke tester?

Sorry i'm pretty much a noobie when it comes to networks

Oh and i cannot connect to the internet from the network it is either not installed or i'm retarded. We use another comp to do onternet type things.

a fluke tester is used to check connectivity, the network cable pinouts, cable length and cross interference. Attach the tester to one side, and either leave it connect or attach a terminator to the other and test it. It will tell you if the cable is okay, the length of the cable (cables if more than one) and any sort of signal loss. If it comes up okay, then you can rule out a bad cable, and if through a switch and comes up okay then more than likely the switch is okay, too.

Well, you stumbled to the right forum. I just happen to work for Micros.
Try killians idea as well as this:
First thing you want to try is using a different network cable. Take the network cable out of the working workstation when the restaurant is not in full operation. Take the working cable and connect it to the workstation that is not functioning. Are the touchscreen terminals all 1 shade of dark gray or is the base on the workstation a darker gray that the touchscreen?
If it's 2 shades of gray (Ultra or Ultra64) then the network connection is in the back of the machine and if it's all 1 shade of a dark color gray (Eclipse) then you will have to tilt the touch screen up and take off the 2 thumbscrews under the touchscreen and take the panel off. On the Eclipse model, you will see 6 connections on the left side. The network adapter is the one on the upper left. Try using a cable that you know works. There is a link light next to the network adapter on both models.
Micros uses TCP/IP and resolves the names of the workstations via a file called 'hosts' on the server. Try the cable first and if that still doesn't work, it could be the hosts file on the workstation itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom