Need help burnong dvd's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordsoth_13

Beta member
hi i recently bought memorex dvd+rw blank dvd's and had the intention of burning some videos i downloaded online to the dics. however now when i insert the blank dvd into the drive it doesnt recognize the disc and nothing happens. the first time i tried it, the computer recognized the disc but only as if it was a cd instead of a dvd. i'm pretty sure i have a dvd drive on my computer, which is a windows xp. i went to "hardware", and then "device manager" to look at the drive which is a " HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4040N" i am able to watch dvd's via windows media player and i am also able to burn cd's. when i try to burn a my WMV files onto a dvd it doesnt recognize the blank dvd and keeps telling me to insert blank disc whenever i hit the "burn" button. again i'm sure i have a dvd dirve because i can watch dvd's but i just dont understand why it only seems to recognize the blanks as cd roms instead of dvd's? if anyone knows what i should do here please let me know! thanks guys.

Did you try a different burning software?
Could be the laser inside has dust on it. Use a Q-tip, open the tray and locate it, dust it off. I've had this problem before.

Otherwise, could be the DVD manufacturer doesn't like your burner. Or your burner is just plain broken.

which software are you using? have you burnt CDs/DVDs using this drive before with that software?

the software is called BurnAware Free, i've also tried plain ol' windows media player but no luck either. i've looked it up and yes it is a dvd drive, i can watch dvd's fine, and also listen and burn cd's fine, i just can't seem to burn dvd's. on Burnaware everytime i try to burn my compilation and message comes up saying "General error occurred" i've only tried momorex "dvd +RW", i'm gonna try a different brand today just in case, i just don't wanna buy a bunch of different blank dvd brands and just waste my money... would maybe getting an external (or internal) dvd drive work?

if i was you i'd probably try better burning software firstly before spending money on hardware, this way at least you'll have better quality recording for when you get a new drive if your drive is the issue - Nero is excellent software and has never failed me (at least it'd give you a better explanation for a burn failure rather than 'general error occurred'). what are you attempting to burn? ISO/data?

Again please check the device. Being a DVD Drive is NOT the same as being a DVD Burner! So you will be able to watch DVD's but not burn them on a DVD Drive or DVD ROM Device but you will not be able to burn DVD's.

It sounds like you do not have a full multi drive that can burn all media. It sounds as if it is a CD Burner but only DVD Reader. You have to verify that this device can burn DVD's.

To do that you will need to know the make and model of the PC so you can check the manufacturer's website to verify that it came with a burner and not just a reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom