i7 and 460's sli, need mobo/ram/gpu/cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demalii

Fully Optimized
With not spending too much (roughly 800 when I looked over it all).. which i7/mobo/ram would be best set, this is for gaming and yes I will be overclocking (on air so a cpu heatsink recommendation would be nice). Also I am likely to go with the 460 sli setup unless waiting a couple more months would bring the 480's down to in the $250 range.. anyways which cards are best bang for the buck, I was thinking of:
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1370-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

But those are currently of out stock so maybe I should wait for price drops? Anyways recommendations would be nice, thanks!

i7 940 - $260
mobo - (est. $200) (many boards for 150-160 but dunno their reliability)
2x 460's @ $199 each / $169 Each after rebates
ram -2x4 - est. $100

So like I said in the post, roughly $800 when I looked at it.. so indeed I was about $100 below what I had thought.. So now the real questions can get sorted.
Anymore help on the build would be nice, I am looking for hardware that will be overclocked, and any motherboards I wanted are now obsolete and I haven't a clue which would be nice..

I remember buying the evga 750i ftw, what a nice board/price I need that same thing here hehe. Just a great bang/buck mobo that's great for sli, overclocking and all around a nice smooth board.

I am pretty certain of staying with my choice of 460 sli, simply overclock them and save myself roughly $100 from what would be possibly less than a 20% increase in gpu power on a 560(which I can upgrade towards the end of the year to 580's for such a cheap price compared to the $400 range it is now) As well as leaving me the option to resale the 460's at a reasonable price. Every benchmark I've seen, the 580 performs less than the 460 sli setup anyways, so I'm pretty set on that.

Though I will look again into a single 580, but I am not worried in any way about heat issues. My case rarely goes 2-3F above ambient room temp max. thermostate for the house says 76.3F and my case says 77.4F, and I'm using the sensor setup right above the cpu heatsink, the other sensors always read ambient temp.

go with a i5 2500k, ($200) whatever board you want, when the b3 boards are out you'll have a better selection but you can spend like $150-$200 for a good one, you'll only need 4gb of ram unless you really want 8gb so around $100. You'll be at anywhere from $400 to $500 depending on board and ram, and you can go SLI/Crossfire and the i5 2500k is faster than the 940 and will OC much higher on air and is cheaper and is more future proof. and get whatever for cards, you could get 2 6870's for around 220 each which are faster than the 460's and similarly priced. Or just pick up a 580 or 6950/70 and then add a second one in a year or so when they drop in price a decent amount and you actually need the extra performance boost :p

That all sounds pretty nice, but i've read nothing but bad things about the LGA 1156 and the bugs that come along with it. I might just wait till this summer after the new boards come up that should resolve any problems anyways but I like your thought process on it all peter, thanks man.

It sounds like you need to re-read whatever you read as the new 2500K and 2600K are socket LGA 1155 not the "older" 1156. And if you've read nothing but bad things then it sounds like the articles you read were biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom