My first time iron soldering, and need a good video resources to get me started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
Yeah, like the title says I have never soldered anything in my tech life at all.
This is one of the last tech skills I lack, I have been avoiding it for the longest but it seems it is unvoidable.
I had a soldering iron from my technical college when I was doing my core classes but never used it because we weren't needing it back then.

I need to desolder a dc jack from my MSI u100 netbook in order to give it a new one I have, but kind of clueless on where to start. :(

Youtube.com is good for some tech follow me alongs but most people either talk too much or have the wrong information on their video or is some kind of **** rick roll.

If anyone knows of a site for beginners with no run me down junk, please let me know about it so I can get started late tonight.

just take some scrap metal and solder and mess around with it. remember to put flux on the metal to remove impurities that could imped the electric flow, use a very small tip so you don't burn half your motherboard, and just mess around with it.

You make it sound so simple, yet I still wonder a little about the soldering part just a little, worried I might grill myself by accident. :)
Have big hands but not a real hard firm solid grip type man when trying to focus on little hardware such as that.
Anyway when I get back home my new soldering gun toolkit will be dropped off from UPS at 1pm.

it's really not that hard, you just have to do what you need it to do. Once you've taken off the current jack which is easy enough just clean off the circuit area with a wire brush, and then put the dc jack down and solder it in place. it's kinda like OC'ing really, intimidating at first, but it's not super difficult.

When I was learning the phrase they used most was "it's not a paintbrush, so don't try using it like one". Soldering is in most cases a 4 step process.
1. Touch the part you want to solder with the tip of the soldering iron
2. Wait a bit for the metal to heat up a little, then add some solder to the spot where the metal and solder tip meet. It should melt extremely quickly and easily
3. Pull the solder away from the soldering iron
4. Pull the soldering iron away from the metal

Avoid the temptation to try and 'fix' a solder job by smushing the solder around with the iron. You'll just do damage that way

You just have to have the right tools. Solder iron, tips, solder, wick, wet sponge, and a flux pen. I love flux pens and go through them quickly. I use to solder surface-mount chips with 400 tiny legs and I wouldn't be able to do it without a flux pen.

This arrived in mailbox yesterday to get me started with my desoldering project.
SOLDER SUCKER DESOLDERING PUMP DESOLDER REMOVAL VACUUM - eBay (item 200547427755 end time Mar-25-11 01:54:09 PDT)
I am looking at the netbooks mobo right now, and it looks like if it can be popped up once just lightly my dc jack will come out of the mobo frame.
I can tell directly it was not soldered on there for permanet use, with the item I have whats the best way to use this correctly ?

If I am right it should take less than 8 minutes to complete and do a beta power on test if it works then I will be happy.
If not I will be buying a new mobo-cpu setup from amazon in april.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom