Not open for further replies.

lookoutbelow84093

Beta member
Hey all. I have the current hardware:

CPU: Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz Kensington quad core processer 775
Motherboard: Gigabyte P35C-DS3R rev 2.0
Graphics Card: NVIDIA 8800GT 512MB
Sound Card: SoundBlaster
Memory: Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (2 sticks at 1MB each for a total of 2GB)

My question is that I would like to upgrade the RAM. The motherboard supports either 4 sticks of DDR2, or 2 sticks of DDR3. DDR3 seems fairly cheap now but im not sure what would actually work with my motherboard/CPU combination. I have Windows Vista on a 64 bit platform, and I belive the maximum it (the motherboard) can handle is 4MB of DDR3. Has anyone actually tried DDR3 with this motherboard (p35 chipset) and CPU combination. I have a good friend who does some pretty high level Rand D for a major manufacturer and he basically said he doesnt know if it would actually work, and to find someone who has actually plugged in specific RAM before buying. Thanks.

poking around a bit online (I don't have any personal experience with it) looks like it'll work. You're correct in that it will max out at 4gb of ddr3, but the q6600 will work with ddr3. worst case scenario is you buy ram and if it doesn't work, you lose 10% for restocking fee, but as long as it's on the supported memory list on the gigabyte site for that board I don't foresee any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom