iMedia x2416 display problems - Possible motherboard fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaospilot

Beta member
Hi guys,

My friend gave me his computer to have a look at which was originally meant to be a software issue so no problems there. Before I picked it up they used the machine and I've been told there was a whining noise and it froze whilst in Vista. The machine now seems to power on but there is no display.

The machine is:

Packard Bell iMedia x2416
Samsung PC2-6400 DDR2, 2x 2GB
I can't fin alot of info about the mobo, but the model is MCP73PVT - PM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT

When the machine is turned on:

CPU fan powers + spins/All fans that should be spinning are
DVD drive powers, opens and closes
HDD spins up
Power light on front of the machine is on

I've tried (With no joy):

Swapping out the GPU with a known-good one
Using the onboard display
Using the HDMI connection
Booting the machine with minimal RAM, CPU and a combination of GPU/HDMI and On board display
Resetting the CMOS

I have tested the RAM in Memtest and it reported no errors, just to be sure.

One thing to note though, sometimes when the power plug is plugged in the machine will turn itself on.

The next step I think will be to try another PSU and mobo and make sure the CPU hasn't been fried, looking for any possible suggestions!

Sorry for the wall of text!

Thanks!

Yeah, I've got a new PSU and mobo coming tomorrow, going to replace the mobo regardless (By request) but I'll try the PSU with the current board first and see if it works any magic.

I'll post here tomorrow sometime when I've sorted it - I hate googling stuff to find a thread with exactly the same problem only for it to either unresolved, or the OP will simply post "fixed" with no explanation.

Hi,
I have a similar problem for iMedia x2416 and I am also concerned if it is the mobo that is faulty, please can you let us know when you have managed to fix it on this thread or email on aleem12 (@) gmail (DOT) com. Thanks in advance

Hi,

I tested the PSU with a voltmeter and it wasn't up to much. I also tested the mobo and it seemed to be faulty aswell, I'm guessing the PSU buggered it when it went or vice-versa.

I replaced the mobo and PSU and all is well. No other components were damaged and the machine is now running like a champ. Plus, the more robust BIOS options are an excellent bonus.

The board I replaced it with was a Gigabyte G31M-ES2L Intel G31 (Socket 775) Motherboard , but any Micro-ATX with DDR2 support and socket 775 should do the trick, just make sure you fully reasearch and make sure it's compatible with your existing hardware before you purchase it.

Hi,
Thanks for your update, Its really helpful to know.

Can you also let us know where you purchased the psu and the mobo from and how much did it cost? (website?)

Did u manage to get the FSP psu or is this a different one?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I got the equipment from novatech.co.uk and it came to £56 all together.

The PSU I replaced it with was a 450w one, obviously it's a bit more powerful than the stock PSU but it was the lowest one they had available and my friend may be interested in upgrading his GPU sometime in the future. It's just a pretty bog standard ATX PSU and it had no problems at all fitting into the case.

If you are going to replace them just make sure you do your research, make sure the mobo is compatible with your remaining hardware and fits into the case, also check the PSU has the right power connectors and you should be laughing.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply mate!

I have ordered my psu from novatech today, and waiting for it to be delivered tmrw, will replace the psu first and if it still does not resolve will replace the mobo.

Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom