Black screen and blinking underscore *NOTHING WORKS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

deius

Beta member
Sigh this is the third time I've had to recompose this message since firefox is messing with me appearantly, but I digress. I have been trying to get this person's computer fixed for a week now. It is a Dell Inspiron 530S with vista.
Problems:
~ No matter what I do that includes trying to go into bios, trying to start safe mode, or go into the boot select, I get the black screen with the blinking underscore.
~ After I tried to remove the cmos battery to see if that did anything it keeps saying cmos error and diskette 0 seek fail (there is no floppy drive)

What I have tried:
~ I tried resetting cmos, changing battery's and took it out and then restarted computer (ended causing that cmos error)
~ I've tried restarting it without the cd-drive and them without the hard-drive.

I have tried scouring the net for any help with this issue but all the ones I've seen got around it by booting a cd-drive, or safe mode which neither works for me so I'm dead in the water here.
I mostly want to know if its going be some hardware that would need replacing so I can tell him since I don't really have anything to test it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom