The Last Case I'll Ever Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool! Good to hear, aspire.

I read through your water cooling guide last night - thanks a lot for that! Really helps lay out everything very clearly.

Right now I have a Q9550 @ at stock 2.83 ghz. My initial goal is to just hit 3.5, which I hear can be done easily with this proc. I'd also be interested in adding a GPU block in spirit of reducing fan noise, but would not be OCing the graphics card. I currently own a cheap Asus GT 240

Did you end up deciding on one? I am currently upgrading my PC and would appreciate your comments on your case decision

If you don't mind weight, if you can find a steel case, it will outlast any aluminum case, I should know, I am using a case from like 1994/5 still.

If you don't mind weight, if you can find a steel case, it will outlast any aluminum case, I should know, I am using a case from like 1994/5 still.

Haha very nice. Any pics? Would love to see the cable management of that!

Did you end up deciding on one? I am currently upgrading my PC and would appreciate your comments on your case decision

I ordered the Corsair Obsidian 700D, but it won't arrive till mid-week. The E-ATX support, wealth of clutter-free features, and practical "no BS" design is what did it for me. Air filters, screw-less side panels, no glowing fans, etc. Everything you need and nothing you don't.

I didn't go with the 800D because I don't need hot-swappable HDD bays, and I didn't wait for the 650D because it isn't listed as E-ATX compatible.

The Monster Mod cases are cool, and I was definitely tempted by the industrial look of them, but I guess they felt too radical for my primary workstation and first water cooling build. Surely they would be great for my next modding project, but for this build I need something more standard and straight-forward.

Now that the case is in the mail and I suddenly have water cooling stuck on my mind, I'm excited about ordering the parts.

In addition to the XSPC starter kit i'm looking at, I also found this Swiftech MCW80 universal GPU cooling block which I found to be compatible with my Asus nVidia GT-240. This is my first time researching water cooling components, but if my understanding is correct, this GPU block should be compatible with the XSPC kit.

The XSPC kit comes with G 1/4'' to 1/2'' barbs, and the Swiftech GPU block has G 1/4'' threads and comes with both 1/2'' and 3/8'' barbs. The GPU block doesn't list the compatible tubing size, but I assume the matching 1/2'' barb rating is all I need to know.

I might be jumping the gun on this, considering I don't even have the case in my hands yet, but I am wanting to pick up a pair of these 90 degree rotary fittings for the "triple" radiator that comes with the kit. The Corsair 700D has a great place for a 3 fan wide radiator up on the top face, but am worried about clearance for the thick tubing to make a clean bend. I figure 90 degree fittings would solve that problem.

Again though, it's my first time putting together the puzzle pieces of all these size ratings. The radiator has G 1/4'' threads, and comes with 7/16" ID x 5/8" OD tubing. Frozencpu has tons of different 90 degree fitting sizes, but it appears I narrowed it down to the one with matching specs. Just wanted to double check that here though. G 1/4'' threads and accepts 7/16" ID x 5/8" OD tubing

Aside from fitting sizes, what else should I be concerned about when adding onto a kit? I understand the 750 LPH pump is probably made with just the CPU in mind, so how concerned should I be about adding the GPU block? What about other blocks? Is a flow/temp meter a must have for gauging this type of thing? I don't have any plans to cool anything else on my EVGA 780i or elsewhere, but I am just curious for future reference.

You wouldn't happen to have an AOL instant messaging account would you? It would make answering your questions much easier.

Haha very nice. Any pics? Would love to see the cable management of that!

Check the wire management thread, I have posted a few pictures, wire managment is impossible as it is one of those things that did NOT exist so long ago, and they didn't expect people to put so much into a case.

Yes, it is getting to be the time to retire her and start anew, but, shes been so loyal, and durable, even after all the surgery. :D

http://img175.imageshack.us/i/dsc04205ni6.jpg

You wouldn't happen to have an AOL instant messaging account would you? It would make answering your questions much easier.

I apologize, I did not mean to make my post so convoluted. I do have a lot to say haha, but I have few direct questions. I don't want to waste your time by asking you for long winded explanations, since I know there are so many guides and tutorials out there. I added my AIM name into my profile though, if you do have any short thoughts or words of advice. I greatly appreciate your shared knowledge!

I spent a little more time researching, reading various liquid guides, and watching some video reviews on this specific kit. I went ahead and put it in the mail, along with the GPU block (and ramsinks), and some Innovatek fluid. I desperately wanted Feser One clear fluid but literally every site is out of it. An ebay seller has 2 bottles, but charges too much for shipping for my taste.

I understand the concern that a starter kit shouldn't be pushed too far, especially when you go and add another block into the mix. My plan is to start by putting it together with all stock speeds. After plenty of testing is done and all is found to be running nice and smoothly, I'll then see what kind of CPU clocking might be possible, proceeding very cautiously.

Once I get something in my mind, there's just no stopping me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom