New build will not fully power up

Status
Not open for further replies.

willthomson

Solid State Member
Hello, just finished my first new build... or so I thought.
When I went to power it up for the first time the LEDs on the motherboard came on. One of these tells me that the computer is in standby/sleep mode, the other tells me that the core unlocker is enabled. There is a third LED which tells me about RAM problems but this is not on.
I have read other forums on here and elsewhere about this issue but have found no answers. I have checked my CPU and it seems fine. Also I am pretty sure the connectors from the case to the motherboard are fixed correctly (they appear to be attached as the manual suggests although I have used an adapter/extension for these connections which has further details about the individual connections required).
Here is my spec:
ASUS TA-K 12 case
ASUS M487TD EVO motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS graphics card
AMD Phenom II X4 840 processor (using the provided heatsink/fan)
LG DVD/CD RW drive
4x2GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz RAM
CiT 650w PSU (this says something about pentium 4 on it, should this matter? I thought PSUs were compatible with everything)
And a couple of generic old hard drives I had (one 500gb, one 80gb) - both SATA but 2.5" laptop ones (does this matter).
Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks
Will

Hi, I think I have done. I only seem to have one cable that can fit that slot, which I plugged in. There is another 4-pin but that is a detachable part of the ATX power supply and is needed to fill the ATX slot.
My PSU is basically the same as that but 650w instead of 450w. Could it be that 650w is not enough power? Thanks a lot for your quick reply

--------

I have just noticed that a small red light flashes briefly at the front of the case when I push the power button, there is a battery sign below it. What does this mean? A power problem I presume? Thanks

650W is more than enough... but i think, almost certain, your psu has the wrong 4 pin 12V. So it doesn't have enough/proper power going to the cpu.

Its quite odd that that psu has only the 4 pin P4 12V cable, where most of the psus have only 4/8 12V or both.

Someone else should verify it though...

Would that mean I would have to change the PSU? There are some cables that are not attached to anything coming from the PSU, is this correct? I can't see where they would go. One of these has a similar connector to the 12v one but split into 2 and 6. However the configuration of the shapes (squares and curved top) is slightly different to the 12v socket.
Thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate it.

-----

just had a look at spec for psu, it says the 12v cable has 20A, is this low? if so i think we have found our problem

The 2 & 6 are for video cards. The 8400 doesn't need it.

Yes 20Amp is low... though you probably have 2 12V sections instead of just 1. My 700W has like 58A, so i'd expect your 650 has 40A.

But ultimately i think you need a new psu, something that has a EPS12V plug.

Ok thanks, could you recommend a PSU that would do the job? Ideally at around £30 as that's what I paid for the other one. A bit more is ok though.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom