Noob looking for help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jivey93

Solid State Member
My knowledge is very basic when it comes to technology. But I want to pursue a career in programming, and dont exactly know to where I should start. I want to build basic knowledge skills on more into the tech community, (whats new, whats best, basically just where to update myself in the tech world). Where do i need to start to become your average tech geek?

Hey Jivey,

I just got into programming myself. I just started taking a Intro to Programming class at my college and it's helped a lot. I would recommend school but really it's something you can learn completely on your own. Just buy a beginners book on the language you wish to learn.
As for the tech skills, it can start right here on the forums. Just read what people are posting.

Where do i need to start to become your average tech geek?
Here is a good start :) I joined a few years ago with the purpose of learning tech, and I certainly believe I succeeded :D

Basically, hang around here a few weeks (hopefully more :)), reading threads that interest you (the 'What's New?' link up in the top-right helps), and helping where you think you can. You'll start learning all sorts of random stuff in a matter of no time, depending on how time you spend here. And you're always free to ask your own questions of course :)

Programming, there's several programmers around here, and can either help you directly or show you the best resources on the 'net for learning.

just troll these forums and read up on things and post! ask questions and throw out your opinion. if you're wrong someone will politely correct you ;)

we've got a couple good programmers who can help you on your way with that. i'm just getting my feet wet with programming, did python for a semester in school and am doing a semester now of visual basic.

what kind of programming are you interested in?

WoW!!! Already loving forum use with the quick, and polite responses. In actuality im not sure which type of programming I wish to pursue. I thought it could be used as a skill in many trades besides just games,(but games got me into it). Im trying to learn the latest, and greatest in pc hardware before I actually get into using it. As and example learning the difference in DDR2 and DDR3 ram, or 2 core, 4 core cpu, diff MoBo's, gpu, you name it im trying to learn it. Is this useless information im feeding myself, or could I value this down the road. And where would I be able to find this information.

All information is useful in one way or another, even if its usefulness doesn't present itself until a long way off. I'm sure there's some fancy quote by a famous historical figure to back that up.

As I said before, if there's anything you want to know in particular, please ask :)

or 2 core, 4 core cpu
One has two cores, the other has four :D Unless the CPU has hyperthreading, in which case that dual-core has four cores, but two of them virtual.
I hope that sufficiently confused you ^_^

See thats what I mean. I know the difference between 2, and 4 core. I did not know about the hyperthreading, and kept wondering how people were overclocking 2, to 4. Overclocking I know is something I should wait to learn, because I dont have the big bucks to replace expensive hardware lol. Well, I guess for the moment im just going to keep researching parts untill I get the funds necessary to build my rig. Untill then I suppose Im going to have to just window shop, and research unknown terms. As for the programming, is that something that requires a heavy duty CPU, or GPU. Would there also be anything else I need to learn beside current system components?

no haha, I'm the first user on the forum to do Dry ice cooling, or dice for short, similarly liquid nitrogen cooling is ln2 cooling.

this is my thread on it
http://www.techist.com/forums/f115/dice-cooling-204940/

unfortunately i was very budget limited with the hardware so it isn't as cool as it could have been, but it was a fun experience.

as far as overclocking goes you're not gonna blow up your components easily, it's not really has hard or scary as people think. just be extremely cautious when you're first doing it to get the hang of what you're looking for and doing when you're overclocking and you'll be fine. You have to really try to blow components.

programming is a whole different world from component knowledge. you can program on any kind of computer, even calculators. your components don't really play a role in it, perhaps in running large programs you'll want a faster cpu to run it in a timely manner. but with programming it's all about learning the language which is just like learning a foreign language, once you get the basic 'grammar' down like learning if statements, strings, loops, array's, and stuff like that and understand when where and why to use them it becomes learning the syntax of the language.

I hope i both confused and enlightened you with that overview of stuff, but if i did confuse you, don't worry, give it a couple months on these forums and if you read lots of posts and really take in what people are saying and understand why they're saying the things they are (only in like troubleshooting and the build threads, off topic doesn't matter :p ) then you'll learn fast.

hahaha, well much appreciated for the info, I guess I just have to figure which programming languages are for me and get on that. Without a job atm shouldn be too hard lol, jus gotta lay off the TF2 and BFBC2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom