Upgrade Graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipp1234567

In Runtime
Hey, im thinkin of upgrading my Graphics card. I'm stuck with an ATI Radeon 5850 right now and i was wondering if i should buy a 6950 or buy another 5850 and crossfire it.

If its crossfired, how do i power the other gfx card? or does the power transfer from one card to the other via xfire cable?.

Some graphic cards come with adapters which uses 2 4-pin molex to 8 pin pci-e connector. If it doesn't come with them than you'll have to buy it separately.

oh. it comes with another section on it which is 4 pin. it was an 8pin and 4 pin i think... i dont remember though. no more though. would the 4 pin be enough?

the 4 pin molex runs on the 5v rail, whereas the 6pin and 8pin run off of the 12v rail. The 5v rails are less powerful and generally has less power allocated to it, power is split up between the 3v, 5v and 12v, and are generally used for your optical drives, hard drives, fan controllers and fans, and the 12v is for your motherboard/cpu and gpu.

To know for sure what you'll need we'll need to know exactly what your PSU has for connections, easiest way would be to just give us a link of the PSU or pop open your case and rattle off what's there for cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom