Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
The influence is negligible. A faster CPU/GPU combination would have more of an effect than a 16mb vs 32mb cache. A SSD would have a less negligible impact, though, too. Games put stress on the CPU and GPU, not really on the hard drive.

Games yes, but wouldn't a faster hard drive help with recording since it is essentially writing tons of frames to the disk constantly? or does that rely more on the cpu..

It still requires the CPU in order to render each frame. The game is using most of the CPU/GPU power, so it cuts the recording down. This is why unless you have a beast of a machine, you need to cut the recording FPS down from 60 to something lower like 30, especially if its an intensive game.

I don't see how that can be true...cache stores information before it gets written to the drive...so larger cache would mean more frames can be stored at a time which would raise the performance of Fraps. How can it have no influence?

The cache will be full within the first second after you start recording. After that, the disks write speed is the maximum speed at which you can store the captured frames.

I agree with you guys on the games cpu stress while recording, but fraps puts load on ur hard drive like ****, so that's why a faster one is better.

Also a question, why do you have to format a new drive? dosen't if have nothing in there?

Also a question, why do you have to format a new drive? dosen't if have nothing in there?
You need to format it so that there is a filesystem for the computer to use. As you said, unformatted there is 'nothing'. the computer has to write to something - it can't write to nothing.

I agree with you guys on the games cpu stress while recording, but fraps puts load on ur hard drive like ****, so that's why a faster one is better.
That's true, however as has already been explained to you, the larger cache will make very little difference. A faster one is better, but a large cache won't necessarily make it any faster in this case. It would need to have an extraordinarily large cache (basically, a Solid State Drive) to show any noticeably faster write speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom