Dead CMOS battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomUK

Daemon Poster
Today, I downloaded the most recent nForce driver from www.nvidia.com. After installing, I later got a BSD error; with regret, I haven't made a note of it, so don't ask what it was (don't know if the nForce driver had anything to do with it...). So, I tryed re-seating my RAM. I power up my computer and I'm looking at a black screen; the MoBo gives no 'beep'. So... I reset my CMOS battery, again nothing happens. I restet the battery AGAIN and the computer powers up normally, no problems since...

I hasen to add this isn't the first time this has happened, before now I've had reset CMOS several times :confused: To me, this sounds like the battery may be flat; can I buy them from just anywhere? They aren't something which I've had to deal with before now.

NOTE: I've ran a memory diagnostic extensively, as far as I know there's nothing wrong with my RAM.

Thanks.

It costs like $2. If you think it's faulty, replace it. What more can we do? I suppose you could get out your voltage meeter and connect it up...

If this happened once, and isn't an issue anymore...stop worrying about it. "My car was broken, but now it's fine, what should I do?"

Could have been that there was some dirt or something on the battery causing problems, and playing around with it fixed it. Could also be a faulty battery socket. Check it out, or try another battery.

I don't know what else to tell you. The CMOS batteries last for years, but sometimes you get a defective one that craps out after a couple months. Ain't noth'n more to do but stick a new one in.

Could also be a faulty battery socket.
Yes this very thing happened to me. My computers battery socket went bad after a while no clue how it happened, but it couldn't retain any information and I had to clear the CMOS everytime in order to turn on the computer. Radioshack will have the battery you need, it's just a simple watch battery, just take in the one you have and they'll get it for you.

my computer wouldnt keep time anymore and i'd have to set it 3 or 4 times just to get it to start so i went to get a battery and it set fine...it almost seemed to boot faster too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom