Home Media Streaming and Backup server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurningSkyline

In Runtime
I need suggestions for a media streaming and backup server. I'm not sure what Kind of Hardware to use... I was looking at boards with the atom processor (Specifically D425 and D525) but most only have two SATA ports, and that is probably a bad thing considering this will be used for backups. Also most only have a PCI slot so I can't really get a SATA 3.0GB/s PCI card for extra slots.

Could you all give me some suggestions on Hardware? or tell me your setup if you have one?

My server is an old dual processor beast with only about 1TB of space so it doesn't really apply here. SATA cards are available for PCI but a better featured board might be useful.
How much data do you have? What is your plan for doing backups? What is your budget?

Well, I'm going to re-rip my CD's with dB power amp into FLAC files, so I should save 50GB-500GB for that. and then system backups, etc. So I was thinking 1.5TB total or 1TB in raid 1? I don't know.

EDIT: If I can get the build under $350 I think that would be great. For backups, I was thinking of every month or two weeks.

If it was just a backup server, I'd say get the most barebones underpowered kit you can find and grab two 1tb drives and raid it on that.

BUT, seeing as you want to be streaming media as well, that could change things. Higher quality streams can strain low-end hardware pretty easily. Maybe pick up something with integrated graphics? E.g.
Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz 2 x 256KB L2 Cache 3MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I32100

Of course you'd only need that if you were indeed streaming high bitrate video or anything similar. If you're not, then first sentence is what you should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom