dual socket 939 board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
ok, they have 3000+ processors in socket 939, and they are $199 aus so 2 of them would be cheaper than 1 3500+ processor which is $435, so i figured if they made dual socket 939 boards you could get a faster system for less this way
does anybody think there will be any dual socket 939 boards ocming out?

1. Dual-Proc systems don't work that way.
2. You're not going to get 3.6GHz speeds by putting in two 1.8GHz processors.
3. The only dual-proc 64bit boards I know of, are for servers.

dual sockets come in servers, there must be some boards arriving but currently Opetron server boards are on 1 CPU support only. as Server platforms chipsets have been made by AMD itself in past.

still 1 opetron CPU out performs 2 X Xeons in performance.

There are dual Opteron server boards available. Problem is, those are just for servers.

Socket 939 is being phased out, anyway. Most manufacturers only have one or two boards with socket 939 with no plans to make more.

Socket 939 is being phased out, anyway. Most manufacturers only have one or two boards with socket 939 with no plans to make more.
What are you talking about? Socket 939 will be continue to be upgraded and worked on while Socket 754, and 940 will be phased out and not continued to be used.

1. Dual-Proc systems don't work that way.
2. You're not going to get 3.6GHz speeds by putting in two 1.8GHz processors.
3. The only dual-proc 64bit boards I know of, are for servers.
I think you misunderstood my post
dual processors don't work in what way?
I was saying they'd have a performance advantage, not that they'd double in frequency with a dual system
I do know that currently they don't have dual socket 939 boards, although I was curious to know if they might make some

I know of people using dual opteron's for gaming, it does better than all the high end single CPU system's (except for maybe the 3.8GHZ FX-55, lol)
if I got watercooling I'd have to get an additional CPU waterblock, which costs more, but having 2 Athlon 64's both overclocked to 3GHZ in my PC sounds really good to me
a dual opteron sounds nice also, but in socket 940 you have to have registered RAM which costs more than the RAM I want, is slower and is harder to get

I know of people using dual opteron's for gaming, it does better than all the high end single CPU system's (except for maybe the 3.8GHZ FX-55, lol)
if I got watercooling I'd have to get an additional CPU waterblock, which costs more, but having 2 Athlon 64's both overclocked to 3GHZ in my PC sounds really good to me
Dual processor systems don't run like they sound. They can handle instructions faster, but there exists no way (in mainstream PCs I mean) for the two processors to share the handling of single tasks. What you essentially have is a queue of tasks to be processed, but even then things down whittle down at twice the rate. The controlling between the two chips is a bottleneck for local hardware.

Chances are, anyone using a dual-processor system for gaming, knows enough about hardware to tweak the crap out of things. I don't know of any non-workstation graphics cards that can communicate with dual CPUs at full capacity.

Anyway, the performance advantage for gaming is marginal at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom