Teach me about computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eest97

Solid State Member
Hey guys I was wondering if someone could teach me about computers. I would like to know what RAM means, what is its role in the computer; same thing with the processor, memory, etc... I don't know anything can you teach a newbie please? Thanks

Eest.

You can always go to borders or buy a book online, i would recommend A+ book by Michael Meyers. It will cover everything you need to know about computers, there's also many sites online. (Google).

I know what they mean but I am not really sure how to explain it. Here is the definition of RAM off of google-

random-access memory (RAM) : the most common computer memory which can be used by programs to perform necessary tasks while the computer is on; an integrated circuit memory chip allows information to be stored or accessed in any order and all storage locations are equally accessible.

The processor is basically the brain of the computer.

Another good source of information is Wikipedia - just look up the part names. It will probably include links to more information than you care to read. You can get a lot of info, including an interesting history, just by looking up "computer".

A good source of general information about video cards is

How to Upgrade Video Card

It has information about identifying personal and system requirements, PCIe cards and slots, gaming and non-gaming cards, reviews, and installation instructions.

If you have a computer in the house, open it up and take a look, preferably with the system or mobo manual handy to identify parts.

It might be a long shot, but you could post an ad in Craigslist asking if anyone has an old computer they are done with that you could have to inspect and play with. It would be nice if it still worked, but even if it does not you could still learn all the parts and get practice dissassemblying and assemblying it.

Hey guys I wanted to pick up this computer, but I had question about the graphics card is it good and is it upgradeable or replaceable? I know this computer is not but best but its only 830 USD so it will do what I want it too I hope. Let me know what you think about the card thanks.

XPS 15 (by Dell)
Operating System - Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Processor - Intel® Core™ i5-480M (2.66GHz, 4Threads, turbo boost up to 2.93Ghz, 3M cache)
Memory - 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
Keyboard - Backlit Keyboard - English
Video Card - NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 420M 1GB graphics with Optimus
Hard Drive - 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
Integrated Network Adapter - Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card
CD ROM/DVD ROM 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
Sound JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3
Wireless Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000 with Wireless Display Support

Eest

Laptop graphics card tend to or are always not replaceable,
etc, they are intergrated/onboard and you cannot remove or upgrade them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom