Gaming rig, need criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysin

Baseband Member
OK so this is my first build in 10yrs, so that purty much makes me a newb, so if somethings wrong please feel free to blast me. Also this isnt the TOP of the line gaming rig, just something i can keep med settings on most the games i play, Rift, Fallout, Dora's pretty pony paridise-just making sure your paying attn lol.

GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Thermaltake Element G VL18501W2Z Black SECC / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Gaming Case w/ 850W Modular Power Supply (looks like it will keep things cool)

PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-DH Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity (x2 one day, y i got the 850w built-in PSU)

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBPK x 2(cheaper getting 2 packs)(or was???)

Seagate SV35 Series ST3500411SV 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

HP Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA 24X Multiformat DVD Writer

Win7 OS (if I left this out you know someone would said something!) 64bit (that too)

Be gentle.......

I can really only suggest on two changes here... Firstly, the case with the built in PSU. I'm sure the case is fine, though I've been led to believe stock PSU's are not what you should should be looking for when putting together a rig like this. You can probably find another decent case, shaving off that price for the built in PSU and getting a decent one. Try an Antec or Corsair.

Secondly would be the hard drive. Your neweggs listing of your hard drive is $59.99 + $6.29 shipping. Where as for $3.71 more you can get this one...
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Much faster, more reliable, and more space. I can personally vouch for this one because it's what I'm using.

Not sure about your video cards to be honest. My suggestion here would be to look at your options by brand name (they all house the same 6850 GPU). Find the ones which excel in customer support, savings via shipping and rebates, warranty. XFX is good, though I'm currently running a HIS brand.

For Sandy Bridge, you'll have to wait a while for the motherboards to be re-released probably a week or two, although some are already starting to show up on newegg: Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Motherboards,Intel Motherboards,LGA 1155 but you might want to wait for a better brand...

As for the hard drive, if you want speed, get an SSD: Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX90G 3.5" 90GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) but, same goes for this SSD as with the motherboard, OCZ is soon releasing their Vertex 3 which is supposed to use SATA III (6 gb/s) so you should probably wait for that.

If you didn't want to spend the extra $$$ for an SSD or you don't care about that much speed (Windows loads in about 3 seconds after BIOS and loads all my startup programs in about 8 seconds) then just get a normal hard drive with lots of cache and probably SATA III (6gb/s): Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Based on your first hard drive option, I don't think you want tons of space; this is the lowest amount of space with 64mb cache and SATA III on newegg. The cost is a little more, but you get what you pay for.

GPU: Newegg.com - XFX HD-685X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity I know you already have a 6850, but i'd get XFX - lifetime warranty, as James said.

The LGA 1155 mobo's should be hitting the shelves soon. I just got an email from Asus today telling me my P8P67 Pro replacement is available :thumbsup:

I just picked up this mobo tonight:

MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

if i remember correctly this is a good brand and easy bios. Also xfirex compatible, at least on there website it says it is but not on Newegg. guess they like ppl to check stuff out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom