Portable HDD Read error

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
I have a WD 500 portable hdd
when i use to insert it in some usb ports it would ask to format disk when it was already formatted with data on it, so i would just switch ports and it would work fine
But now any port that i try plugging it into it asks to format it
I plugged it into my tv and its working fine...
what options do i have?
what tests could i run?

If the drive isn't under warranty, try breaking the case open. Try running it internally. Does this work on any other computer?

If the drive isn't under warranty, try breaking the case open. Try running it internally. Does this work on any other computer?

IT says i have a limited warranty (The product is still under warranty and the serial number is valid and ready for replacement.)
i also have an option to upgrade or extend warranty
when i goto disk management the hdd still shows and no its stopped working on all computers, but still works on my tv
any option to get my data out of there?

Get 64 bit if you have a 64 bit computer (which seems likely in this day and age). You will need to have some storage where you can put your backed up data, this would be true whether or not you were using Ubuntu.
If you want to store the data on your existing Windows disk that is fine, but you will need to mount it first.

Get 64 bit if you have a 64 bit computer (which seems likely in this day and age). You will need to have some storage where you can put your backed up data, this would be true whether or not you were using Ubuntu.
If you want to store the data on your existing Windows disk that is fine, but you will need to mount it first.

im using test disk, it worked for me befor eand its working now, backing up files as well speak.
only backing up the important stuff, i already applied for advanced rma, so i hope the new one is better
thanks guys

EDIT, ONE MORE QUESTION???

what could have been the reason for this
is it really bad if i unplug my ext hdd without clicking the remove icon on the \bottom or does it make no difference ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom