CPU Fan Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

swannyy

Beta member
Ok, so on my desktop PC I'm pretty sure the fan's broken. Well, not broken, exactly...
Basically, when I turn it on, it makes a loud grinding noise (I reckon it's the fan grinding on some metal); However, when I tilt it to the left, the noise stops, and if I tilt it to the right, it gets louder. I don't want to open it because I'm not sure exactly where it is. I'll send a picture/video if required. Many Thanks.

That can be of two things, your fan or your hard drive. Opening your PC won't hurt anything. Just don't pull anything while you are in there unless you know where it goes back in.

Ok, but how could it be the hard drive? I can get on the computer fine, the hard drive has no problems at all. Do you mean the fan for the hard drive? Because if not, I can't see a hard drive making as much noise as this computer does. Honestly, it sounds like a drill.

but how could it be the hard drive?
Anything with a motor can make those noises.

Note you should be opening your PC every month or so to inspect for dust buildup, and cleaning when necessary. So pop off the side and look inside. If there is a heat-trapping layer of dust in there, it needs to be carefully cleaned out. If cleaning is necessary, unplug from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body before reaching in.

The easiest way to pinpoint a fan noise problem is change the fan speed. Touch bare metal first then carefully touch the center hub of the fan, just for second. If the bearings are making noise, touching the center hub will change the rotation speed and the pitch of the fan noise will change too.

Perhaps the fan is not properly installed, you should change the slope and solve the problem of dust. Fan Dust vibrates. To do: clean your computer from dust, put rubber gaskets and air filters.
p012_1_02.jpg
p007_1_00.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom