A net for a note

Status
Not open for further replies.
Memory doesn't scare me, as said above, the Atom processor was my limiting factor. I can get more later if I am planning to do more with it. 4GB won't be beneficial if I only surf with it.

HDD space? pbth, I have a lot of storage elsewhere.

Sure the Vostro has a 4-cell battery, but the latitude has a 6 cell, thats like a few more hours. Definately the 6-cell is heavier?

Memory doesn't scare me, as said above, the Atom processor was my limiting factor. I can get more later if I am planning to do more with it. 4GB won't be beneficial if I only surf with it.

HDD space? pbth, I have a lot of storage elsewhere.

Sure the Vostro has a 4-cell battery, but the latitude has a 6 cell, thats like a few more hours. Definately the 6-cell is heavier?

The battery life on the Vostro will be shorter but it is roughly a pound lighter which does offset that a bit. The Vostro is also a business laptop vs the consumer market Inspiron so it's probably better built (Aluminum and plastic vs completely plastic) and should ship with a much cleaner installation of Windows.

I actually was filled with bloatware, when I got my old Vostro. But I can use Decrapifier. Then dual boot with Ubuntu. ;)

I was previously looking at a Latitude E5410 or Vostro 3400 at Dell's outlet store. I just found the Latitude today.

But then, hum de dum, I look around at different sites, see what they have to offer. So I look at Newegg recertified lappys. OK, cool, they have the same Latitude E5410. Compare to Dell Outlet.

WHAT THE... Newegg has an i5 520M, Dell Outlet is just selling a i3 350M! At the same price range.

OK, OK *breathe* the price difference.

Dell Outlet $459 plus the 15% off coupon, around 390, and free shipping
http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...=28&l=en&s=dfb
Newegg $449.99 (was 599.99), free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-075-_-Product

Now, Newegg's has Vista on it, but WTH, I can just strip that and put 7 and/or Ubuntu on that.

IMO, I'd pay a little more for extra performance. Especially when under my $500 budget. You?

If I buy this on Newegg, I can put this on my preferred account, and pay it off gradually. I think over $400, you have 6 months to pay off.

Edit: According to benchmark charts, these two processors are 12 points apart.

Once again i would have to recommend the Asus UL50VT as it has both a dedicated graphics card and integrated for long battery life, and it has 4gbs ram but only a C2D proc, but refurbished its only 500 bucks

please read my first post. They happen to be out of stock at the moment. And I want to keep this under $500 as much as possible.

I understand your love for ASUS, as I. But for that model, it is a C2D SU7300. Look at benchmarks. That CPU is way down the list.

The one above has an i5 530M.

I see a UL80 for the same price, but with an i3.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220893

Edit: I'm just throttling here until I hit the sweet spot.

Thanks you all, guys (gals?) for the help. I have now bought the above, the ASUS UL80J.

The reasons?

1. I needed to buy it off Newegg to put it onto my preferred account. 12 months interest free. Could also put it on my credit card if it was lower than 500, but I didn't want to pay off that much in one month, to escape interest.
2. Yes, I did at least need an i3. The i5 looked beefy, but I really didn't need all the muscles.
3. I'm an ASUS fanboy.
4. It was the best performance and features for that price. Gotta admit, buying a $850 laptop at $500 is pretty much a done deal. Even if it is recertified.
5. I'm an ASUS fanboy.
6. I really didn't like the bulkiness of the Latitude, despite its features.
7. I'M AN ASUS FANBOY!!! :suprised:

Thank you all :kiss:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom