SSD & Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
I think I know the answer but I wanted to confirm before I jumped into this project. I just bought this with the intent of formatting my other two drives and using the SSD as my primary boot drive with the OS installed on it.

I have a genuine OEM copy of Win 7 64 bit. My understating is as long as I don't change the MoBo I can reinstall an OEM copy of Windows on any old or new drive as many times as as I want. Is this true? Thanks.

I would do a "fresh" install, I just replaced my i7 920, X58 mobo and 6GB Memory kit with a i7 2600K, P8P67 Pro mobo and 8GB Memory kit with a OEM ver. of Windows 7 Pro and it re-activated over the internet just fine. And while I'm not positive of the number, I know I've done at least 10 re-installs since Windows 7 came out. My Office 2010 on the other hand is much stricter, I had to re-activate it over the phone this last time.

Now I'm not guaranteeing that it will activate online, it probably will but if it doesn't then it should over the phone.

I did a fresh install of Win 7 onto the SSD.... There is a HUGE improvement in speed, most notably boot up and shut down times. Even putting it to sleep takes like 5 seconds, and it wakes up almost as quick. I think I counted a 14 second boot up time from power button to desktop. My Windows rating went from 5.9 to 7.2. I didn't really even have to reinstall some of my older programs since I never formatted the old drive. I am just running them as they were installed on my other drive, and they work fine. Other programs like Google Earth, Winamp, Avast, AIM, MSN etc... I installed onto the SSD. I've noticed that they load 110% faster then before. Larger programs like my games I have on my other two HDD's. I plan on getting a second and third SSD in the future and slowly fazing out my HDD's. Over all, I am happy about this purchase :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom