System continues to BSOD (windows 7 64bit), I'm not sure if its hardware or software related!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekC1990

Baseband Member
Here is the image:
1298526472-U1.jpg

Hard LINK: http://royalty-ro.com/forums/uploads/images/1298526472-U1.jpg

The computer randomly BSOD off every 10 to 30 minutes normally.

Please let me know what you can, thank you a ton.

I think you're right, when I noticed the 2 different messages on the BSOD I decided to run memtest. Instantly popped up thousands of errors, pulled 2x2gb sticks and left in 2x4gb. Their supposed to do 1600mhz but I have them clocked down to 1333mhz and voltage is supposed to be 1.55 to 1.75 so I set it at 1.55. I also made sure the timings were right. When I went to pull the 2 sticks I opened bios and it said failed to overclock ram... which it wasn't supposed to be OC my ram at all thus why I just set all of those by hand. Anyways I'm going to test the 2x4gb now and if they fail the test I'll switch with the 2x2gb. If both fail I'll try switching the 2 slots I'm using in case its my slots, and if worst comes to worst I'll try clocking the ram down even lower. Am I going about this the right way? (the fact that my computer hasn't died before I finished typing this is a miracle in itself already, I was having issues just posting that second bsod because it was starting to do it about every 3 minutes).

EDIT: Its now testing the 2x4gb @ 1333mhz on 1.55v

I find it odd because I had a hunch it was the ram once before and got some errors, but after taking out the ram 1 by 1 to try and figure out which stick it was I ended up putting all 12gb back in and it worked fine on a 40 minute test and now its acting up again.

EDIT2: I know you're supposed to put ram in AMD computers 2sticks at a time, does it matter which 2 slots I put them in? The slots are colored Black Blue Blue Black in that order, and I currently have both sticks of ram in the far left slots, so "Black + Blue". Should it be "Black + Black"? If you need to know which motherboard I'm using I can get that info in a moment, its doing the ram tests atm so its a bit laggy and I'd rather not try to go find the exact model :D

In order to run in dual channel it must be black black or blue blue. but it can be either black or blue.

Now your ram may be rated for 1600 but that doesn't mean your motherboard is. So according to your mobo you MAY BE overclocking. Depends on the model so if you can I'd like the model number.

Slowing the speeds down shouldn't fix it. If it's a bad set of ram or a bad mobo, slowing the RAM down isn't going to help so set everything to stock.

Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD Motherboard

RAM: Newegg.com - A-DATA XPG Gaming Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GC4G9-2G

The MemTest didn't even get through 3 seconds before finding errors when I had the 2x2gb in it, after removing them its now been running for about 20minutes without a single error. As for the Black + Black or Blue + Blue, I'll try switching those in a minute and then running mem test again :D

Well it sounds like it's obviously either the slots or the 2x2 I guess we'll see!

The bad ram must be holding back your OC because 1600 is native.

Thank you for your help, I'll try to let you know what the result is :D

EDIT: Just bumped it up to 1.65v at 1600mhz, seems to be working fine. I also put it in the black + black so its actually dual channel. I'm going to let it run the mem test for about another 30 minutes. If I figure out that its 1 specific strip of ram thats not working (1 of the 2x2gb ones) would it be better to simply use 2x4gb in dual channel or 2x4gb in dual channel + 1x2gb in another slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom