HDD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsoul

In Runtime
I'm looking for a HDD for my computer, and I was originally planning on getting the WD Black 640GB 64MB cache, but while looking on newegg i noticed the WD RE4 250GB 64MB cache. I understand the RE4 drives were designed primarily for server use, but with the smaller capacity, same cache size and rpm shouldn't the RE4 have better performance? I couldn't find anything other than user reviews for the RE4. I will not be needing a lot of storage space, but if i did in the future then i could always buy another (maybe a blue/green series). The drive i buy now will be my only drive, therefor OS, programs, etc. will all be on there.

I think the RE4 will perform similar to the Black in terms of speed. However the RE4 should be more reliable, than the Black.

do you think this drive is greatly overpriced? It is the same cost as the WD 500gb black that i linked in original post. Does anyone know if that 500gb drive is single platter?

when running a raid 5 setup (if i recall correctly that is pretty much 2 drives in raid 0 and a third drive as backup) will i see a significant performance drop as compared to a raid 0 setup or does the computer handle the data transfer to/from the third drive separately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom