Q8400 + 650i = Uh-Oh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyV04988

Fully Optimized
So like a retired pitcher returning to the majors... only to get shelled in the top of the 1st, I just spontaneously bought a CPU that won't work with my mobo. WHY didn't I wait for a reply yesterday?!

$170 Q8400, on a truck somewhere in NJ right now... :annoyed:

I need some serious advice. Do I call up Newegg and beg them to take it back? Do buy a compatible motherboard and eat the cost? Do I try to sell it?

I can't believe I did this; I'm so embarrassed and sick at the thought of it. On top of everything, I have a GTX 570 in the same shipment, which is useless without more processing power.

I'd give anything to undo it all. What do I do guys...

I'd buy a new motherboard and sell the old motherboard and processor. Hopefully you'll be able to find an LGA 775 motherboard for a decent price :tongue:

Anyone selling? :( I'm looking online but sheesh there's nothing but microATXs out there. fml.

Provided I get the brushback from Newegg... I think I can actually salvage the situation by digging deeper into the money pit.

Plan of attack:

1) Buy New MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-G41M-Combo LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX

2) Buy New RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

The need to purchase RAM is a bit of a puzzler... I can't find a board with enough slots for my 3x1gb DDR2 800 RAM, so why not buy 2x2GB of DDR3 and the corresponding MOBO instead? That enables me to sell the old mobo/cpu/ram (much easier sell than w/o the ram, no?) and gives me the choice of yanking the ram for an i7+ build down the road.

I'm going to dig until I hit China... hopefully they have some crap that's compatible.

Looks like your just building a whole new system with this plan, new cpu, gpu, mobo, ram.

I know... a new 775 system *cringe*

I'd undo it all if I could, and just wait, but with newegg's 15% restock fee AND the CPU non-refund policy, I'd end up losing quite a bit of money if I tried to return/resell. I think I'm eating this one.

I know that with a mild OC, this setup would satisfy, it's just hard to know how much you need to sell, and when to stop, to be efficient and yet still have a sale.

"Unfortunately, we are unable to cancel your order since your order # xxxxxxxxxxxx was shipped out with UPS tracking #12345. If you no longer wish to receive it, you may refuse it upon delivery. Simply tell the delivery person that you do not wish to accept the package and it will be sent back to us. Once it arrives, we will automatically generate an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number. Our RMA's process in roughly 2-5 business days from the time we receive the package. You will be issued a full refund including the shipping costs and taxes, if applicable. Thanks for your cooperation and understanding."

Sounds like I might have a way out afterall... I just wrote back trying to clarify that this would work for even a CPU and also to ask about a restock fee.

EDIT: BOOOYA!!! This is handy information for all...

"You are correct. If you refuse the delivery successfully, the package will be returned to us. Once the package is returned to us, we will issue a full refund RMA automatically, no matter what the item is. It takes 2-5 business days to process the RMA when the return item is received. Once the returned package is received, we will send the confirmation email to your login email address. "

Thread can be closed. Running away from the PC upgrade world with my tail between my legs until further notice haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom