Anyone have any experience building a wind tunnel for CPU cooler exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't your South bridge, or whATEVER that is going to not be cooled now?

I have the x58a-ud3r and the heatsinks there need airflow.

Next thought, the hsf should be high enough... My nh-u12 can be sideways and clean my ram... How big are your ram sinks.

Still think youre overreactig to the mobo cracking. Even my 680i held my Tuniq 120.

Paton, I never even considered the Northbridge/Southbridge chip. You are 100% correct. Now there is limited or no air flow there due to the tunnel. Thanks for helping me realize the tunnel is not a good idea. Now I must come up with a new idea. Thanks for saving my MOBO! The RAM modules are exactly 1/8th of an inch below the Hyper 212+. Right now I am thinking that turning the Hyper 212+ 90 degrees to the north might be the simplest solution. I never unplug my RAM anyway. I just hope the RAM will run reliably for the next 1-2 years. Otherwise, any time I must access the RAM, I will need to pull the CPU cooler...

Primarily, yes, but there will always be some heat from the GPU that doesn't get exhausted in the way you expect.

Ok, thanks again guys for helping me see things I never considered. My bad. I'll be removing the tunnel as soon as I can come up with a new idea.

Soar

The only other thing you could do is add another fan on the other side of your HS. Are you overheating?

The 1055T is presently at 27C and the case temps are at 22. Mind you, the room temps are at 71F and this is winter time here.

I have not tried any load temps yet.

The temps seem ok, but I would like to find the temps on the Southbridge and Northbridge but I am not sure how to do that.

You could technically, leave the bottom open and the rising heat could be sucked up and out.

I never would have thought of that...thanks. Now that you mention it, I could also cut a small hole just above the that chip [not sure if that is the Northbridge or Southbridge] and install a small 20mm or 40mm fan to suck the air out...

Gosh, this is all getting so complicated...I wish I had thought it through more before attempting to do this mod.

Soar

Very cool. With one or two sides (motherboard and GPU facing) replaced with a mesh/grid the rear exhaust fan would have the same effect on the heat from the motherboard electronics and the GPU that it had before and you would keep the benefits of the wind tunnel as well as preventing heat from rising up into the PSU.

EDIT: just checked and the OP PSU is at the bottom of the case. However, I am going to do this exact thing and my PSU is at the top.

Make the bottom out of wire mesh as just slicing the bottom out will cause greater vibrations and therefore noise....

You guys are amazing. I would not have thought of that in a thousand years! Ok, I would like to try it. What type of wire mesh do you recommend? Remember, I found that sheet of metal that I used to build the tunnel on the highway as I was driving home the other day......but I am more than willing to pay a few cents for some nice mesh...what type of mesh do you recommend?

Thank,

Soar

Very cool. With one or two sides (motherboard and GPU facing) replaced with a mesh/grid the rear exhaust fan would have the same effect on the heat from the motherboard electronics and the GPU that it had before and you would keep the benefits of the wind tunnel as well as preventing heat from rising up into the PSU.

EDIT: just checked and the OP PSU is at the bottom of the case. However, I am going to do this exact thing and my PSU is at the top.

So are you recommending I cut a couple of slots/holes/vents on the GPU side and the MOBO side and attach the wire mesh? And what shall I use for the wire mesh?

Thanks,

Soar

Basically the mesh would only be to keep the sides of the tunnel secured together to keep from rattling around. You'll need to cut the bottom of the tunnel out (side closest to the mobo), I'd try just running it like that first and see if there's any unwanted rattling or noise. If there's not, you don't even need to trouble yourself with the mesh.

However, if the metal vibrates a lot, then you'll have to look at a way to keep it from moving. I'm not too sure how much a wire grid will help though; how have you attached the wind tunnel to the clear fan casing?

I would do is a bit of experimentation with a cardboard tunnel, it won't accurately model the sound but at least you will be able to check the cooling performance of various configurations without having to do metalwork each time.

Doesn't have to be a metal mesh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom